Internal bladder squished up ok?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So many things to worry about, such little time.

....at least he doesn't have THREE of those Oxy wings......like I do! ...I might as well call DAN now and beat the rush! :) moreover, 2 of my 3 Oxy wings are DUAL bladder wings, so I've got like FIVE bladders total....Pandora's Box in spades, so I'm NOT lookin' inside any of my wings !

But as I said, both materials are flexible. So I flatten the outer cover and measure only its flattened length to be about 65cm, roughly 10cm less than the flattened bladder

You're just not really thinking this through. Inflate the bladder outside the cover and you'll understand.

You're just not really thinking this through. Inflate the bladder outside the cover and you'll understand.

I can't remove the bladder to inflate the ends fully, the seals at the dump valve and inflator hose prevent me. Anyway, look at my diagrams on page 2 and you'll understand. I know they're not very nicely drawn, but the crucial part is the blue lines representing the excess bladder material. I've poked my fingers inside my inflated wing enough to know that there is still quite a lot of (about 10cm total) excess bladder material at both ends of the inflated wing, and the side effect of all that excess material is a lot more squishing than people with perfect wings can imagine.

Besides, the two sides of the donut with the Oxycheq wordings have no such problem. At these places, the flattened outer cover on the sides is about the same width as the flattened bladder inside, yet the inflated bladder plumps out the outer cover along the oxycheq wording nicely.

Last edited:
The same thing is true with dive rite wings; the bladders are bigger than the shells and they tend to crease and fold a little. I really would not worry about it. The outer shell has to take ALL the stress of the air pressure because it's much stronger than the inner bladder.

Oxycheq has excellent customer service and I'm sure they will take care of any problem you might end up having.

Hi crandf, question for you, since you did not dismantle the bladder totally out of the shell, were you able to get an accurate measurement, top to bottom? I could not do that accurately on my OMS 32 # wing. But measuring along the "shoulder", I have 62 cms when flat and uninflated and about 56 cms when inflated (my inflated measurement tries to corrects for the balloon effect curve). The shell is about the same 62 cms at the same shoulder. Difficult to measure these things really accurately. Nowhere near the 10 cms difference you have. (Make sure you are not measuring the spare fabric after the weld seam of the bladder)

I remember a post from Patrick at Oxycheq where he said he uses specific bladders for each of his wings. Tobin of DSS said he uses one bladder for two of his wings that are pretty close in size (30 & 40 #s). See page 19 of this post Since then, I've wondered about my OMS and now thanks to your post, I finally checked!

As for creases, I have plenty. Probably from the packing, as you say.

Reading your posts, it's not clear to me whether you fully understood the point of flat height versus inflated. But 10 cms seems a lot, anyway. If you are so concerned about it, I don't think you should drop it. Follow up with Patrick, you could ask him in the Oxycheq subforum. I'd be interested in the results.

Appreciate the diagrams!

I was more interested in Patrick of Oxycheq saying they use bladder sizes specific to each outer jacket. Not true for my wing at least. I will be posting the following pics at the oxycheq forum.

I finally thought out turning the outer cover inside out in order to take better pictures of the measured bladder

Deflated bladder = 76.5cm
DeflatedBladder.jpg

Inflated bladder = 71cm
InflatedBladder.jpg

Inflated jacket = 62.5cm
WholeInflatedJacket.jpg

And just in case you can't see properly
LHSInflatedWing.jpg

RHSInflatedWing.jpg

The excess length is depicted like so:
MachVBladderTopview.jpg

Wow, you're really getting into this! What got you started looking at your bladder size in the first place?

Be sure to tell Patrick when you bought it, since his design/manufacturing may have changed from time time to time.

Someone asked me the same thing on scubatoys forum I think. The simple answer is that because I found I had difficulty flattening down my BC to pack into my dive bag, so I got curious. Of course, then I felt I had something to prove when I got quite a few replies saying its normal for bladders to be a bit bigger, 2D vs 3D means larger bladders, creases are safe, stuff like that.

"If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit"...... Give that man a new wing.:eyebrow:

I have an Oxycheq Signature 40 doubles wing. There is a little excess bladder material in the outer shell when fully inflated, nowhere near as much as yours.
I would also be bothered if the outer wing shape overall didn't seem right due to too large of an inner bladder.

Mine is a horseshoe instead of a donut, so I don't know if that's a factor.
Mine is also black, so of course it's going to be better. Haha.

It's possible that your red shell is actually the problem.:D

I also have a DSS horseshoe single wing. The fit is much closer between the inner and outer components when fully inflated.

I hope your problem get resolved. I'd want it to be right as well.

-Mitch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom