Intro Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DwayneJ

Contributor
Reaction score
Any recommendations on instructors/dive shops and TDI vs NAUI for some intro tech courses in the LA area?

I would like to do the equivalent of an TDI Extended Range course (180'), Trimix, Doubles, and Decocompression skills.

I was reviewing the local NAUI training website socaltechdivers but based on what I read, it appears the equipment requirement would require me to replace half of my gear...

I use OMS BP/W but my wing has shock cord and my harness is IQ and not continuous webbing.
I use Apollo Split Fins.
I like my TUSA mask but its clear and large which I believe is a NAUI restriction as well.
My singles are Steel 120 and Steel 100.

Thanks!

Is your goal to learn to dive safely to 180 fsw or is it buy a little new equipment as possible?

Last edited:
Is your goal to learn to dive safely to 180 fsw or is it buy a(s) little new equipment as possible?

One could equally ask, is his goal to learn to dive Extended Range safely, or to buy gear he doesn't need? Gear doesn't make a good diver

Agencies aside, what is your issue with diving a bungied wing, steel tanks or a clear mask in open water?

A bungied OMS wing got John Bennett down to 300m and back. I did my TDI Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures in the Philippines wearing John's own OMS wing & double tanks, and a clear mask

Extended Range isn't about depth or wreck/cave penetration anyway

Maybe you just read one GUE thread too many?

One could equally ask, is his goal to learn to dive Extended Range safely, or to buy gear he doesn't need? Gear doesn't make a good diver

Agencies aside, what is your issue with diving a bungied wing, steel tanks or a clear mask in open water?

A bungied OMS wing got John Bennett down to 300m and back. I did my TDI Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures in the Philippines wearing John's own OMS wing & double tanks, and a clear mask

Extended Range isn't about depth or wreck/cave penetration anyway

Maybe you just read one GUE thread too many?

My personal gear preferences aside. Tech diving is an expensive activity to do safely. The OP listed only about $1500 in gear he was worried about replacing. Which in the larger picture of tech diving is not that much.

I would select an instructor that does the dives I was looking to do, and in a way I would feel comfortable doing. Talk to them. And then evaluate if it is something I can afford. Selecting an instructor based on which gear they will make you replace just seems like mixed up priorities to me.

Plus there is always ebay...

Talk to Karim at Hollywood Divers

323-969-9875 or 877-OK SCUBA

He is a Tech instructor with several agencies and runs adv. deco classes, among other things.

He will tell you everything you need to know, and them some....and then some more.

Is your goal to learn to dive safely to 180 fsw or is it buy a little new equipment as possible?

The cost is not an issue - I have experience with and trust the gear I have. I'm not planning to do wreck penetration or cave diving so the split fins and bladder bungees are not a safety issue. I'm guessing I can just cut the bungles off for the purpose of the certification. OMS's double bladders all come with bungees and again I assume for the purpose of the certification, I just do not install them when I get a new doubles bladder.

I will talk to Hollywood divers.

Dwayne

Last edited:
Talk to Ocean Adventures in Marina Del Rey as well. They also do TDI courses.

As far as continuous webbings, bungeed wings and hard plates go, maybe somebody should tell Lamar the head honcho at Dive Rite that he couldn't have done all the tech diving all these years with the TransPac harness & bungeed wings.

I would strongly suggest going to Hollywoodivers and talking to the people there about getting into tech diving. That said, I would not jump straight into diving at 180 feet in doubles....consider taking an intro to tech course, like GUE fundies (or equivalent....I don't know about the equivalent classes that much, as I plan to take fundies). You will learn the basics....non-silting propulsion, heightened situational awareness, nail down your buoyancy, etc. If you successfully pass, then consider going on to take more tech classes....if you realize it's not for you, at least you got a lot out of the class itself.

BTW, what's your dive history like? You don't show the number of logged dives you have....how many dives do you have, how long have you been certified, are you diving consistently, etc?

TDI lists a course for intro to tech diving, advanced nitrox and other fundamental classes. I'm planning on taking at least these two and see if I'd like tech diving. If anything, it'll improve my rec diving skills.

I think you will find the need to replace some gear no matter what agency you go through. Getting rid of my splits was the best thing I ever did. You’ll find back kicking 110% more efficient when not using splits. Keeping in mind that a few agencies require a good back kick before you can advance.

You're a member of the solo-divers group. If you plan on doing this type of diving solo, you should go with TDI since GUE is very against solo diving.

You should look into Karim at Hollywood divers or Andy H who is at Ocean Adventures (I think he’s there, not 100% sure)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom