''Intro to Tech'' course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would just like to say kudos to TDI for recognizing the need for a class like this. I hope the standards will be such that one can be confident of a quality experience in taking this, but even if there are some variations, it is still a class that is very much needed. I recommend DIR-F repeatedly because, to my knowledge, it has been the only option for a non-technical diver to be introduced to a higher standard of skills and to such non-mainstream things as a long hose/bungied backup configuration, and non-silting kicks. But if TDI is going to offer the same curriculum, I can steer people in that direction as well.

...snip...
Re-read my last post in this matter as it is about as accurate as you're going to get.

If you want a GUE dir-f, you're going to have to go get it from the 50-odd instructors in the world that can teach it. If you want what my friend Dan MacKay (GUE Instructor) has affectionately called "The poor man's DIR-f" (reasons afore mentioned), you MAY get it here. It really is too much of a moving target within TDI to give you an answer that is correct across the board in this matter.

Without a doubt there will be similarities, this should go without saying, but I do not believe this was your question.

I run mine as a Tec-Dirf and have always had that in mind, I have no idea how others run theirs. This is the crux of the problem in attempting to answer your question.

Fair enough. Any idea of someone in the lower 48 (or willing to go to the lower 48) who shares a simliar philosophy?

I think its been a program offering TDI has officially needed for sometime now and just happy to see its birth. Intro type courses like this that TDI has now on the market really gives the diver whom is on the fence or just wanting to give technical diving a try or sampling a chance and at the same time as Steve points out improve their overall skill level regardless of whether they persue additional advanced training. NAUI has had an Intro course for sometime in their tec offers. Way to go TDI!

I designed an introductory technical course that I call "Fundamentals of Technical Diving" in 2001. TDI approved it as a distinctive instructor-authored course for certification. Judging from some of the comments in this thread, other TDI instructors have done much the same thing.

I would just like to say kudos to TDI for recognizing the need for a class like this...

I think its been a program offering TDI has officially needed for sometime now and just happy to see its birth. Intro type courses like this that TDI has now on the market really gives the diver whom is on the fence or just wanting to give technical diving a try or sampling a chance and at the same time as Steve points out improve their overall skill level regardless of whether they persue additional advanced training. NAUI has had an Intro course for sometime in their tec offers. Way to go TDI!

Thanks for the support. Much appreciated, and we agree, this course is a great new addition to our existing curriculum.

I designed an introductory technical course that I call "Fundamentals of Technical Diving" in 2001. TDI approved it as a distinctive instructor-authored course for certification. Judging from some of the comments in this thread, other TDI instructors have done much the same thing.

That's correct Dale... I think David Burroughs and I were throwing powerpoint presentations together for a protype intro to tech class back in 2000 / 2001 as well. I know there were quite a number of our instructors and facilities who simply realized that investing some time to refine the skills of candidates for technical programs such as advanced nitrox and deco or even trimix, advanced wreck and cavern paid huge dividends.

Giving our instructors the ability to register a distinct specialty has resulted in some pretty creative and useful mini-regional programs including the ad hoc intro-to-tech programs and even "recreational" trimix. It's one of those resources that is somewhat under-utilized but I'd probably better stop promoting it otherwise our VP Training (who has the job of giving reviewing these distinct specialties) will hunt me down here at HQ and whip me!

Take care and dive safe

just like anything else, it's the instructor, but i can firmly recommend bobby franklin's intro to tech. except that i was wet in the frickin' quarry in march, it was a great class.

and jason b has had this & gue-f tech. he'd be a good one to get input from.

bobby's specialty is laughing at you very clearly through his reg...

So I don't think I see the difference in the course or maybe I do....GUE DIRF has their course establish and have for years that they have set rules and few who teach it.

Naui has their course it is cut and dry and standards are standard gear configuration is standard and good. But TDI doesn't specify equipment configuration and anything but it is prep courses for tech. TDI instructors wrote the course in 2000 or 2001 but none of the courses are the same between TDI instructors and they can still teach the course anyway they can while GUE and Naui do it black and white?

I think TDI misses the bus on this one and I drive busses. That's funny! If TDI doesn't need this course for a before tech course what's the point of it? If you don't need to take the TDI course, what is the point?

I think GUE and NAUI are a little better on this one making divers take this before their technical courses and good for the recreational divers who want to learn the same skills.

Good TDI for coming out with it but I think too late your not going to catch up with the others.

Back
Top Bottom