Intro to Tek; or, TDI Adv. Nitrox + Decompression

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JMG

Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested in starting to "cross-over" to technical diving, because I'm starting to do deeper wreck dives and want to have more bottom time and, eventually, penetration and other advanced skills.

My LDS, with whom I've taken courses before, offers PADI TecRec and TDI. When I spoke briefly with the instructor, he recommended PADI because it was a complete package, and a few other reasons I didn't find particularly compelling, but said he'd be happy to do the TDI with me if I preferred. Another staff member there mentioned that, since they're a PADI 5 star facility, they are obliged to offer the PADI courses up front but, as the other instructor said, they're happy to do other stuff if asked for in particular.

The TDI route appeals to me for a few reasons. In no particular order:

1) I meet the prerequisites for TDI Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures now. It's something I can do that will enhance my diving this season. With TecRec's requirements, it'll be at least the end of summer before I can take the course, and that's only a maybe.

2) I like the idea of having a more modular group of classes, rather than one big one. It seems to me that this approach fosters an environment where one can better concentrate on specifics, and it means I can pick up different skills when I want, instead of a lot of new stuff all at once. I can also gain experience doing deco dives, for example, before adding trimix to the mix (yes, the pun, if you could call it that, was intended).

3) I like the idea of going with an established technical agency, rather than a brand new one.

I know there have been discussions of agencies before, but I guess none addressed what I'm getting at. Generally, how do people feel about the "many small courses" vs. "one catch-all course" approach? Have I got the right idea? Is there anything I haven't thought of that I should consider?

Oh, and since I know that the instructor is more important than the agency, I should say that it's the same instructor either way, and I've done stuff with him before and think he's great, so there are no concerns there.

Thanks!

Find out who can give you the most actual tech dives, and ask them which they recomend.

My own first choice would be IANTD because they have been doing this the longest.

My second choice would be TDI because they are the most flexible.

My third choice would be NAUI because they have the latest up to date technology.

My fourth choice would be GUE because they are thorough but unfortunately not flexible.

You however need to sort this out yourself.

If you ask which agency you should use, then this will go on forever and will just end up in a p#ssing match.

It sounds like you have already given this a lot of thought and have made up your mind. If you trust the instructor and he will give you the course you are looking for, it sounds like a no brainier.

Just curious, what perquisite keeps you out of the Tec Deep course?

JMG:
I'm interested in starting to "cross-over" to technical diving, because I'm starting to do deeper wreck dives and want to have more bottom time and, eventually, penetration and other advanced skills.

My LDS, with whom I've taken courses before, offers PADI TecRec and TDI. When I spoke briefly with the instructor, he recommended PADI because it was a complete package, and a few other reasons I didn't find particularly compelling, but said he'd be happy to do the TDI with me if I preferred. Another staff member there mentioned that, since they're a PADI 5 star facility, they are obliged to offer the PADI courses up front but, as the other instructor said, they're happy to do other stuff if asked for in particular.

The TDI route appeals to me for a few reasons. In no particular order:

1) I meet the prerequisites for TDI Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures now. It's something I can do that will enhance my diving this season. With TecRec's requirements, it'll be at least the end of summer before I can take the course, and that's only a maybe.

2) I like the idea of having a more modular group of classes, rather than one big one. It seems to me that this approach fosters an environment where one can better concentrate on specifics, and it means I can pick up different skills when I want, instead of a lot of new stuff all at once. I can also gain experience doing deco dives, for example, before adding trimix to the mix (yes, the pun, if you could call it that, was intended).

3) I like the idea of going with an established technical agency, rather than a brand new one.

I know there have been discussions of agencies before, but I guess none addressed what I'm getting at. Generally, how do people feel about the "many small courses" vs. "one catch-all course" approach? Have I got the right idea? Is there anything I haven't thought of that I should consider?

Oh, and since I know that the instructor is more important than the agency, I should say that it's the same instructor either way, and I've done stuff with him before and think he's great, so there are no concerns there.

Thanks!

I was very pleased with the TDI Decompression Procedures course. The text and language was different from the other (9) PADI courses I have completed. I would describe the language as more direct. The PADI text is well written in my opinion but for tech diving I liked the idea of direct language as though you are talking to a person. 'If you do this without considering this you are an idiot' - ha ha - this is an exaggeration but I did get a laugh out of some of the text in this fashion. It is also good to learn through a different style now and then.

Although I met the PADI experience requirements I too liked the idea of modular learning. I also liked the equipment options available through the TDI course. The PADI course requires doubles and BP/wings, etc. The TDI course allows doubles or a single 120 configuration with H-valve. This was attractive to me because I did not need to go out and invest another $7000 in dive equipment to do the dive profiles I want to do right now. I certainly needed to add some gear but not a complete reinvestment in a brand new package. To give you an example, you can do a dive for 25 minutes to 160' with a single 120 and a 30CF deco bottle following the rule of thirds and a "standard" decompression schedule. There are a lot of dependancies in this example such as your SAC rate and other items. The 160' range addresses my desires at the moment.

My TDI instructor was strict in terms of standards and exercises. He made it clear to each student even before they signed up - if at any time he feels their skills are lacking they are out of the class until they can demonstrate the proper skills. I like the idea of strict standards in classes and especially a tech class. We started our class with 4 students and 2 (another student and I) completed the course as scheduled.

I would recommend the course and I would also suggest you speak to the instructor about his tech diving resume. Ask how many dives he has completed in the tech range, different conditions he has experienced, gasses he has used, etc. He can be a great recreational instructor with minimum tech experience. Unless this instructor regularly tech dives for his own pleasure it is unlikely he has much tech experience. Meaning, if he tech dives mostly for classes he will not have nearly as much experience as someone who tech dives for pleasure.

--Matt

JMG - your on the right track. Your feelings about PADI vs. TDI and IANTD are IMO well founded. For TECH/REC stay away from that bad four letter word.

I guess my point about the p#ssing match over which agency has been made. That didn't take very long.

I've had experience with a bunch of agencies but if you want to get started technical diving find an instructor whoIS a technical diver. There are lots of instrtructors around now who teach way more than do. Once you've been around awhile they're pretty easy to spot but they're all real famouse tech diver in the shop talking over the counter.

Go out and see what other divers have to say about them.

I was eating a Hot dog while on break from teaching an OW class over at Haigh quarry in Il. On the next picnick table was an instructor debreifing a lady after a dive for her tech class. I couldn't help but overhear and I almost spit up my hotdog.

MikeFerrara:
I've had experience with a bunch of agencies but if you want to get started technical diving find an instructor whoIS a technical diver.

I couldn't agree more! It all boils down to the instructor - their experience, commitment,
and skill.

I hold TDI Advanced Nitrox & Decompression certifications (and I'm about to start my basic
Trimix class); while the TDI course materials were a little "thin" my instructors were a wealth
of information (thru Dive TEK here in Kona). I've had a look at the PADI course materials;
they're very much in the same vein as other PADI courses - slickly produced, thorough,
and prescriptive in their methods. Does that make a better course? Maybe, but I'm more
inclined to think that its all about the instructor.

Best -

gkn

Guys, at this level its all about the instructor.

It is a serious business now. It not like you can do a CESA from 160ft dive because you didn't learn how to properly plan you gas consumption.

I don't give a crap what agency an instructor teaches, because quite frankly having a cert card simply means you went through a course, it does mean you learned anything. Only the instructor can make sure you learn something or not.

Sorry for the rant, but the arguments over which is the better agency just isn't relevant in my eyes.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom