Intro to Tek; or, TDI Adv. Nitrox + Decompression

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NEWreckDiver:
If you ask which agency you should use, then this will go on forever and will just end up in a p#ssing match.

It sounds like you have already given this a lot of thought and have made up your mind. If you trust the instructor and he will give you the course you are looking for, it sounds like a no brainier.

I didn't intend for this to be an argument about agencies; you're right, I have given it a fair bit of thought, and my mind was pretty much made up. I guess what I was looking for was third party opinions on those two courses particularly, and comparisons of those two to PADI's offering. I was also looking for opinions on whether this is a good way to start tech diving.

I got lots of what I was looking for, so thanks everyone!

NEWreckDiver:
Just curious, what perquisite keeps you out of the Tec Deep course?

Number of dives - they have a minimum of 100, and I don't. Yet. As I mentioned in my original post, I'll probably hit it sometime this season, but I'd rather start early in the season as opposed to mid or late.

Thanks again everyone for your opinions.

Obviously I am biased as a TDI instructor - so I say go TDI.

The instructor of course is a significant part of the equation and more important than the label so please check that out first.

I always ask people looking for a course if they would like a reference from a former student since it's a good way for them to get an unbiased opinion of me. ( I'm perfect right? - NOT)

Congratulations on taking the next step.

JMG:
I didn't intend for this to be an argument about agencies; you're right, I have given it a fair bit of thought, and my mind was pretty much made up. I guess what I was looking for was third party opinions on those two courses particularly, and comparisons of those two to PADI's offering. I was also looking for opinions on whether this is a good way to start tech diving.

I got lots of what I was looking for, so thanks everyone!

Number of dives - they have a minimum of 100, and I don't. Yet. As I mentioned in my original post, I'll probably hit it sometime this season, but I'd rather start early in the season as opposed to mid or late.

Thanks again everyone for your opinions.

I know, it is a real shame.

You did the right thing by looking at the different courses and then speaking with the instructor. Good luck in your course and dive safe.

I loved mine. I think we did it for some of the same reasons, not really going much deeper, just longer. It is very cool.

JMG - I was going thru the same considerations as you with regard to which agency to get adv. training. Then I realized the agency will not make the difference but rather the instructor. I start my adv nitx/deco proc/normoxic this march - PM me if you'd like details. Good luck on your choice.

I was sorta in the same boat. My LDS did TDI and just started with the DSAT (PADI) Tec Deep. I went with Tec Deep, however I'm really not sure it would have made much of a difference. The same instructor taught both courses.

The one thing I can say is that the DSAT materials are much better than TDI's. I initially purchased the TDI Deco book and it had nothing in it. Many things seemed to be the same from myTDI Nitrox book. I turned it back in and bought the DSAT book which is tons better.

From a cost point of view, it looks like the DSAT course would equal taking the TDI Advanced nitrox, Deco, and Extended Range.

If the same instructors are taking both, my guess is that you'll get the same education no matter which you sign up for.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom