Introducing others to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a big deal to me. I'm passionate about diving and want everyone in the world to at least know what it is. I worked out a deal where I get them to the shop to hang with the instructor and talk to him and he does a DSD course and all is well. He does it at a loss of money for him i'm sure; but statistically, he comes out ahead because once many try the bubble thing, they wanna blow more bubbles and more bubbles. Soon they are investing in more training and even a bit of gear. It also helps that the shop owner hooks me up with discounts the more people I bring to him.

I've had friends ask if they can just go out with me, with some of my gear. I wouldn't do it, simply because I am no where near skilled enough to fix things should something go wrong. I think that even with 20000 more dives under my belt, it's just too much of a responsibility for me. If the time comes and I'm a professional instructor then things might be different, but until then I'll just stick with sharing my passion and bringing them to the shop

By all means contact you local shops about discover dives. Some as mentioned can do them onsite for a reasonable fee as a recruiting tool. Others plan them as events using contracted pool time, many of these free or have a very low entrance fee. After discussing a few essentials the potential diver gears up and is chaperoned on an underwater experience. It's enough to wet the appetite and convince a wary individual they, "yes, they can do this".

In the warmer months some shops will accommodate requests to do it in open water.

My first dive was an open water discover dive done as a bucket list item so I could say I tried diving. My wife followed suit. Starting class with that experience under our belts was invaluable.

Pete

I conduct a lot of the Discover Programs at my LDS, and they charge only $20.00 or $25.00 per person. Sometimes we run promotion deals, and it's only ten dollars. For that price, the interested person has to show up with a swimsuit and a towel. We furnish everything else, and do the experience in our on site pool. I would also note that the shop is constantly upgrading its rental gear, and we have about 40 sets on hand in every size, and in excellent condition. Our pool is warm enough so no wet suits are needed. For someone who wants to see if scuba might be their thing, it's the only way to go. It is definitely worthwhile to have an initial "experience" conducted by a certified AND INSURED professional in a pool setting. Chances are the new participants will be more comfortable and they will certainly be safer. Underwater medic's comments are so right on. Thanks.
DivemasterDennis

I don't see what the big deal is, people are so damn paranoid these days.
I've let people try breathing off my scuba in pools, usually someones private pool.
At times, friends will want to see what it's like to scuba so we will go into the shallow end of the pool and I will put a mask on them and give them my octo. Our heads are a foot underwater and I let them sit there and breathe. If anything goes wrong or they don't like it all they have to do is stand up and there out of it.
If they like it and can see themselves doing it I hook them up with instruction and off they go.
I actually get more people wanting to learn to freedive for abalone. That's easy for us to teach people, basically a mentorship.
That's how I got into this, an old salt used to take me out ab diving and I started in shallow calm coves and as my skill level went up I ventured out to more challenging sites. It was a few years of that before getting into scuba which was no big deal because I was already used to the ocean and a pretty good freediver and knew what to expect.
To this day if someone tells me they want to learn to scuba dive I beg them to let me start them freediving for a season or two first before getting scuba certified somewhere because it'll make them a much better scuba diver. That's the old school way instead of nowdays everybody wanting everything instantly. I feel that's true at least in my region.

Of course there is the liability. Also of course, you can be sued for anything (showing your freind's kid how to ride a bicycle and he falls, etc.). Recently I teamed with 2 new divers and helped them out, led the dive. I wasn't "hired" as DM, but then again, I do have the insurance. It's an interesting call. I think Discover Scuba Diving classes are generally a pretty good idea. I have heard that in unusual cases they can be run below standard, thus not as safe as intended (though I assume this is a rarity, having no experience with them myself). Personally I never considered taking a DSD myself prior to certification. Reason being I had been in the water since a kid, with 35 years of extensive snorkelling. If someone is obviously comfortable in the water--above and somewhat below-- it probably makes little sense to do DSD. He/she will most likely be able to do and enjoy scuba diving. Perhaps for this person showing him the basics in 3 feet of water would be of very little risk (before it's mentioned, I know holding one's breath in very shallow water can still cause lung overexpansion injury, so that info. is paramount). If someone has never seen the ocean (big lake, etc.) it would be advisable to get some good exposure to it--do some snorkelling, swimming, get comfortable, etc. Some people sign up for OW courses that, unbelievably, can't swim. After getting comfortable in the water, these people may be benefit a lot from DSD before they spend all that money--perhaps other fears will emerge-- like depth, claustraphobia. They are also ones you should not take in the water yourself to do anything with.

I got into SCUBA by doing a couple DSDs on the great barrier reef and here I am now working towards Rescue and Master Diver. I think a DSD should actually be mandatory to getting certified. Bring everyone to the pool the first night without any book work/videos etc and let them try it out and see what it's like and have fun (underwater frisbee, torpedos, golf balls etc etc). Once people see what it's like and have had a chance to "PLAY" then they should make the decision as to whether or not then wish to continue. Some people panic, some can't clear their ears, some can't do some of the basic skills and will be put off. I think it's imperative to weed those people out who have perhaps bitten off more than they can swallow. It will make life easier for them, the instructor and the rest of the class that doesn't have to wait around because someone just can't get it figured out (and I mean the bare bones basics).

To this day if someone tells me they want to learn to scuba dive I beg them to let me start them freediving for a season or two first before getting scuba certified somewhere because it'll make them a much better scuba diver. That's the old school way instead of nowdays everybody wanting everything instantly. I feel that's true at least in my region.

You stole my thunder buddy. I always figured if they didn't like freediving up on the coast, they probably wouldn't like carrying another 50# of gear for the same dive. At that point, should they want to SCUBA dive without all the thermal protection, I suggest they should look at a more tropical location to learn.

The reason I don't get more Scuba dives during the year is because of the days I just go out and freedive, not as much gear to carry and the air is free.

Bob
--------------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I got into SCUBA by doing a couple DSDs on the great barrier reef and here I am now working towards Rescue and Master Diver. I think a DSD should actually be mandatory to getting certified. Bring everyone to the pool the first night without any book work/videos etc and let them try it out and see what it's like and have fun (underwater frisbee, torpedos, golf balls etc etc). Once people see what it's like and have had a chance to "PLAY" then they should make the decision as to whether or not then wish to continue. Some people panic, some can't clear their ears, some can't do some of the basic skills and will be put off. I think it's imperative to weed those people out who have perhaps bitten off more than they can swallow. It will make life easier for them, the instructor and the rest of the class that doesn't have to wait around because someone just can't get it figured out (and I mean the bare bones basics).

This would be good for instructors and staff and help a lot of people decide. As a former teacher I like it a lot. It would be OK for myself and others who had no problem deciding to take the OW course, figuring that our interest was there and we would succeed anyway. OK that is, as long as the DSD part was free.

This would be good for instructors and staff and help a lot of people decide. As a former teacher I like it a lot. It would be OK for myself and others who had no problem deciding to take the OW course, figuring that our interest was there and we would succeed anyway. OK that is, as long as the DSD part was free.
Why should it be free?? This is what is wrong with many "part time" instructors who think they should be like a missionary preaching scuba and believe everyone should dive. It is the same "part time" that complain that they do not make any $$ and their insurance is soo expensive. I for one have no issues with what the insurance costs as I make enough out of teaching to pay for it, I look at it as a business expense.Same as rent/electricity... It is a business and people need to be paid for their time and effort. Charge a fee, say $50.-$60. for the 90-120 minute experience and allow some of that fee to be credited towards the tuition of a ow course if participant chose to go that route. Doing it this way will weed out the ones who are not serious about it.Why waste time and energy on people that are just "looking"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom