IP issues with old Proton Ice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimyoungdd

Registered
Reaction score
All over the east cost, Canada and else where
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Some time ago I got a Proton Ice. I believe it was the first year it came out. It came with the light blue on the second and first stage.
The dive shop rebuilt it in the first 4 months. We could not keep the breaking set
point. The second year it needed to be rebuilt because the IP would not keep it's
set point. I got the reg ck out for the next 2 years but do not know if the IP was
cked. Last year it was rebuilt again because of the IP. Just got it cked out this year and the IP again will not hold it's set point; hits 35 and goes up to 40 very slowly and
then it keeps going up very very slowly.

Want to know if this is an issues with other owners and what has been done to fix it.
PS the last two years I use the Proton Ice as my second on my dubbles, so it is not used much at all. I don't trust it any longer
Jim

Jim,

Did the store send this regulator back to you with the IP creeping up, after a service? This is not normal after a rebuild. After this many attempts, I would suggest the store send it back to Mares service center for review. It is possibile there is something wrong internally that the store is not able to see. We also suggest with future services on the V32, MR 22, and MR12 1st stages that everyone upgrade to our new Trimaterial poppet. By now most stores are doing this automatically, but I mention this so you can kindly remind them.

Best,

Jim,

Did the store send this regulator back to you with the IP creeping up, after a service? This is not normal after a rebuild. After this many attempts, I would suggest the store send it back to Mares service center for review. It is possibile there is something wrong internally that the store is not able to see. We also suggest with future services on the V32, MR 22, and MR12 1st stages that everyone upgrade to our new Trimaterial poppet. By now most stores are doing this automatically, but I mention this so you can kindly remind them.

Best,
After the reg was rebuilt we did ck it at that time and IP did not move. How long this was the case I do not know. Did not ck it until the next year.
So are you saying my issue has not come up before????
Tks,

Jim,

I am saying this is out of the norm. All regulators have the capacity to experience a HP creep. This most likely occurs when contamination of some sort (salt, dirt,) scars the seating surface of the HP seat / poppet assembly, this I have seen.

If the reg holds IP after a service and is not used, it is not normal for an IP creep. I have not had this issue come up before.

Did the store replace the seat at service? How long did they test the IP, hours or minutes? There are too many variables to diagnose over the internet. Which is why I recommend they send the reg to our service center for a full diagnostic.

Sincerely,

I don't mean to jack the thread but this was brought up by the OP. I bought a Proton Ice for my son and the seller said it was purchased in 2005. Was the first regs ice blue? My son doesn't want ot dive it now because it's been renamed the She Dive. :D Else, I'm going to have to have it rebuilt and sell it....

Jack

Some years ago, we sold the "Proton Ice" regulator. The 1st stage is a V32 and comes with a Proton Metal second stage with ice blue cosmetics. The "shedives" regulator is a MR42 with a Proton Metal second stage, blue cosmetics and the purge button has the Shedives logo on the face. They look a little similar, but are definitelly different. If your son is overly concerned about the similarities, you can have a dive store order a black purge/cover assembly and a black exhaust T, he'll then be as manly as the rest of us. :)

Best,

I have been rebuilding Mares regs with the new trimaterial valves since they were introduced to the industry. They are a huge improvement over the older versions, and I have yet to replace one in any of my own personal regs. Their lock-up on intermediate pressure is excellent even after many, many dives.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

I'm glad Zak mentioned that I can get replacement parts in black. I was always a bit troubled by the sissy looking blue even though it did match my eyes...

LOL! I hear ya. Something to be said for color coordination...:D

Thanks for the idea, Zak! Yes, it came with the v32 1st stage. However, is the second stage the same? If not, that would explain the price I paid for it.

I have also heard criticism that the exhaust tee design causes bubble to vent in front of your mask rather than out to the side.

Hi, yes the second stage is the same, just cosmetically different. The valve is smaller than some and yet larger than others. IMO the valve is designed in such a way that it does help to vent the exhaust bubbles out to the side considering the size. I have heard some say the bubbles come up. I think it is one of those things that is different for different people. It doesn't seem to bother me.

Sincerely,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom