IP issues with old Proton Ice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim,

Just to clarify your talking about the Proton Ice not the Porton Ice Extreme.

Thanks

Greg,

The new assembly you spoke of in your post, does this automatically exist in the Proton Ice Extreme, if you may know?

Thanks.
Tracy,

The new tri-material valves will work in any Mares diaphragm reg produced in at least the last 15 years (and some earlier ones, such as the MR12 III). The only model that it will not work in is the V42. The new MR42 uses a different design than the other Mares diaphragm regs, and consequently has its own version of the tri-material valve. The V42 must use the spherical core seal system.

If you have a reg that originally had the SCS system installed, then Mares offers a conversion kit to allow it to use the tri-material seat. Again, this is not available for the Limited Edition Metal or the V42. They will need the SCS, which is still far better than the original MR series HP poppet.

As far as the Proton Ice Extreme...I believe that the first edition models came with the conventional valve. Does your first stage have a red "T" on it?

Greg

Hi Greg

Thanks for that info, I will check on my regs.

If you see my first post to your original question, I stated you should either send it back to a Mares service center and or have your service center replace / upgrade into our new tri-material HP seat assembly. Did you switch over to the new assembly?

This assembly has been in the market for apprx 1 year. All service centers have been instructed to use the tri-material system. This is a superior sealing system and I'm sure will eradicate any further HP issues.

Is Mares supplying these free to dealers? or do I have to pay for the upgrade? what's the list price for the tri-material seat?

Hi Ken,

Good question. These are not free of charge, unless your regulator falls under the lifetime parts policy (purchased post 1/2006, original owner, serviced annually, purchased from an authorized dealer). This seat is an upgraded part that is normally replaced at the regular service interval. List price is apprx $25.00.

Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom