IP issues with old Proton Ice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Mares special edition metal which, to the best of my knowledge, is the same basic design. I too have IP creeping up, but only slowly. I'll check it again since I just had it serviced, the only comment I got from the shop was that there was a small hole in the second stage diaphragm. No clear problems in the first stage, so it could be a common design issue.

Up-date on IP issue.
I've taked to a # of people on this issue. One the owner of a well known and respected reg repair company. He over hauled this reg last year for the IP issue and will do so this year at no charge even though the one year warranty is over. He does not kow if they used the newer trimaterial valve. We had a long talk and was picking his brain. Asked what regs he had the least problems with and which he had the most problems with. He was very reluctant to speak about the regs which he had major issues with. However he did state that Mares proton ice, V32 first stage has had an IP issue for a long time. And the parts to fix this issue is normaly back ordered. I could go on.
What I am not saying is that Mares regs are bad or you should not buy them, ect, ect. Even with the IP issue I like the product. However as we know a creeping IP not cked, can cause a catistrophic failure and a fee flow to the second stage. Not a good thing at 50' and something far worse at 150'. It would be a good idea for owners to have your regs tested at your shop and have them test it for a long time. FYI

I tested my Proton Metal special edition goes from 150pi to 175psi after 5 minutes of not being used. I have had similar issues with this regulator in the past and none of the normal annul services have changed it, though I have mentioned it to them. I guess it's good that I got an IP gage.

I've owned this reg for 4 or 5 years now, from the time it was new on the market.
Have replaced the HP seat 4 or 5 times.

Just got back from 40 Fathoms Grotto. Just before a 150' dive the HP seat went
again. I had just had it serviced in April and had dove just 8 dives on it.
If the seat craped out just 15 minutes later it could have been a very different
story.
I just heard there is a "conversion" kit. I may just try it. Although I'm not
sure I can ever trust it again.

Enjoy the Depth,
Jim

Wow, I've had my ice for 4 years and have never had an issue...I LOVE IT! I wish I could find another one!

I've owned this reg for 4 or 5 years now, from the time it was new on the market.

If the seat craped out just 15 minutes later it could have been a very different
story.

Enjoy the Depth,
Jim

Jim,

I am sorry you are still experiencing problems.

If you see my first post to your original question, I stated you should either send it back to a Mares service center and or have your service center replace / upgrade into our new tri-material HP seat assembly. Did you switch over to the new assembly?

This assembly has been in the market for apprx 1 year. All service centers have been instructed to use the tri-material system. This is a superior sealing system and I'm sure will eradicate any further HP issues.

I've taked to a # of people on this issue. One the owner of a well known and respected reg repair company. He over hauled this reg last year for the IP issue and will do so this year at no charge even though the one year warranty is over. He does not kow if they used the newer trimaterial valve. We had a long talk and was picking his brain. Asked what regs he had the least problems with and which he had the most problems with. He was very reluctant to speak about the regs which he had major issues with. However he did state that Mares proton ice, V32 first stage has had an IP issue for a long time. And the parts to fix this issue is normaly back ordered.

They are in stock, and have been. In the past we've had issues with part kits inventory, although lately this is not the case. I currently have apprx 2000 upgrade kits, and 3000 tri-material seats.

I travel into many LDS / Service centers. If I were to ask "which regulators do you experience problems with?" I would here a multitude of different answers and opinions in each respective location. Over time people, have a tendancy to form opinions and these do not necessarily reflect a true statistic.

If you need further assistance please drop me a pm.

Best regards,

story.

Enjoy the Depth,
Jim

I have been using the new tri-material valves since the first production run. They are absolutely fantastic in regard to durability. I, too, was replacing HP valves on a regular basis due to unstable intermediate pressure.

Two of my personal regs have nearly two years of service since the installation of the new tri-material valves. Their intermediate pressure is perfectly stable with no measurable creep.

One of those personal regs is undergoing long term durability testing to determine just how long the valve will provide proper service. It is nearing one hundred dives, and my prediction is that two hundred should be no problem.

I have also serviced a considerable number of regs for a Mares dealer, and I upgrade all of the regs to the new system. None of the regs that I have serviced have been brought back for intermediate pressure problems. I would NOT recommend any reg not using the new valve assembly.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

Jim,

Just to clarify your talking about the Proton Ice not the Porton Ice Extreme.

Thanks

Greg,

The new assembly you spoke of in your post, does this automatically exist in the Proton Ice Extreme, if you may know?

Thanks.

Yes Jim,
Make sure your tech uses the new HP seat. After torturing owners for more than 30 years, they have apparently got a decent seat. They drove me away about 15 years ago, because I got tired of replacing very difficult to get seats 3/4 times a year. The current management seems to be on the right track.

Back
Top Bottom