Irresponsible parenting IMHO. Dad lets uncert. young son dive. (+link)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decapoddiver:
Where are the moderators?
Where are the New England Folks who should be reminding people that this thread is for New England people?

I happen to live app. 150 yards from Quinsig (you remember. right? The thread about the father taking his young son diving?). I disagee with what he did. However, I refrained from commenting but the way this thread has gone so far off-topic is insane.

To all the folks who posted and don't live within 100 miles of the lake in question, I will be happy to derail any and all topics regarding your dive areas and I will happily post my opinion knowing absolutely nothing about the conditions :) Have a great day.

The thread started about responsible parenting. Is that a local New England issue?
Was it really about local conditions? Pehaps for a diver you have a very dry sense of humour.

I thought if you did not want outsiders, you made the forum "opt-in", by approval.

This has been brought up before...about not wanting outsiders. It is confusing because, say, in Hawaii (my home forum) , we welcome outside opinions on local issues. So..not that one is correct and the other wrong, but I wonder why you don't make your forum set up to get approval...)

The titles entice people in.

catherine96821:
I thought if you did not want outsiders, you made the forum "opt-in", by approval.
The titles entice people in.

I have no problem with "outsiders" participating. I enjoy them :) However, I would never think to go into a warm water forum and berate someone for not wearing open heel fins just because that's we wear where I dive. Nor would I defend someone who scrapes bottom constantly just because up here, you need to do it sometimes to get the lobsters and scallops.

Really didn't want to get dragged into this but I will try to explain.

Scenario: An instructor refuses to certify someone because they couldn't use their inflator button with 5mm gloves on and couldn't get a good mask seal around their 7mm hood? Would you think they were too strict?

What if I told you that the class was in Maine with water temps in the 30's?
What if it took place in the Caymans?

The local conditions play a tremendous part in any dive situation. Knowing what they are allows you to form an educated opinion.

As I said before, I disagree with what the father did. I also disagree with people who have absolutely no idea what the local conditions are rendering judgement.

I'm not even going to get into guns and the derailment :)

yea, you have some good points. Maybe it was a positive thing that you pointed them out?

We were just sticking up for the happy kid.

On the other hand, we have different "warm" water issues. The instructor that took her 9 year old very deep...the ethics are the same. But, the points are good that you made.

How do non residents decide if they should or should not post, just so we know?

I am sure Jimclarke from the Netherlands knows about cold water, for example.

As I said before, I disagree with what the father did. I also disagree with people who have absolutely no idea what the local conditions are rendering judgement.

the post was asking for opinions, inviting discussion, I thought.

We have 2 daughters 7 and 9 one of them loves anything to do with water Her sister could care less and has no interest what so ever. I think the safest thing to do for her is teach her now safely before she goes off on her own, is she ready to go into OW noooo, As soon as I can get her into class we will. She knows she has 2 1/2 years before she is able to get her c-card and se can't wait. She is also a learing DIR and is an NMOFer.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom