Is a free diver a diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clarity was never a target for the media. Profit and manipulation with no respect to the consequences was/is.
Of course its overkill.. Why would media ever want precision - that might actually make people know what actually happen and not click the link to stuff that dont really interest them..

First, freediver used, in the not so distant past, to include anyone not tethered like a hard hat diver. These terms have changed meaning in my lifetime, that is why SCUBA diver was used for distinction. Oh yeah, somehow SCUBA changed from an acronym to a noun, go figure.
When I was a kid, freediving meant SCUBA diving because snorkeling included what we now know as freediving. You can discuss Skin Diving amongst yourselves.

In the context department, on the North Coast at this time of year should you hear about a diver death you would automatically think Ab Diver. Oh, yeah, and weight belt still on.

Bob
-------------------------------
You want to complain! Look at these shoes... Monte Python

When I search Google for "diving club", I get a page full of results of this:

Brennan1.jpg

It all depends on context...

I agree, context is everything. When I ask someone to go out "scuba" diving on Saturday, I will commonly ask "do you want to go diving this weekend?" and they know what I mean. I imagine that skydivers do the same.

The issue with the media is that they are interviewing free divers referring to themselves as divers, and so they print it.

There are scuba divers, hookah divers, commercial divers, free divers, ama pearl divers, and navy divers. They all go underwater, they are all divers.

There are spearfishers, some use scuba, some freedive, both are spearfishers

According to NAUI, SEI and some other agencies, a free diver is a diver ... since free diving skills are a mandatory part of OW training ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Of course a freediver is a diver. What else are they doing but diving?

According to NAUI, SEI and some other agencies, a free diver is a diver ... since free diving skills are a mandatory part of OW training ...
It is included in PADI OW training as well.

Clarity was never a target for the media. Profit and manipulation with no respect to the consequences was/is.
Thats why it piss me off..
The media purposely make things unclear for sales and that lack of precision is further spread by the general public who dont know better..
The media claim to be there to inform, but theire rather there to confuse and create hype...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom