Is a spare mask an absolute requirement when diving solo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is a spare mask an absolute requirement when diving solo?

That's your personal choice. The Solo Diving Police aren't going to come after you if you don't carry a spare mask.

A spare mask is mandatory for me. In fact, I always carry a spare mask even when I'm not going solo.

Hello All,

I really enjoyed this thread.

I agree with the posters who stated that this is a personal choice depending on the risk analysis that the diver has performed for the dive profile he has planned.

Usually, divers who get into serious trouble experience multiple issues, and then become task overwhelmed if they cannot prioritize the tasks required to solve the multiple issues. Carrying a spare mask is really easy for those of us who have a BCD or wetsuit pocket.

Scenario: Solving a lost or broken mask issue quickly and easily, so that you can then solve your entanglement issue may save your life.

I was diving Santa Rosa Island two weeks ago. I did not carry a spare mask nor did I have a dive reel and SMB. I did have a 13 cf pony bottle, but wished I had used my 6 cf pony. The bottom was not more than 40' deep for hundreds of feet in any direction. Redundant gear of any type really did not seem to be that necessary. I dived with the pony because I was hoping to find some interesting geology that may have been a little deeper depth. I am comfortable breathing u/w with out a mask.

OP, your comfort level and dive profile should be the criteria used for deciding whether or not you dive with or with out redundant gear.

markm

Last edited:
I don't suggest what others should take, but as a solo diver of 50+ years experience, I do not take an extra mask. Nowhere convenient to put it given my harness rig. However, I do place the mask strap UNDER my hood so that if it should break, the mask does not drop to the bottom out of reach. In all those years I've only had one mask strap break, but since it was still "secured" by the strap, I just pushed my camera housing against it and continued filming and the dive.

Whether to take an extra mask or not depends upon the dive. While almost always a good idea, I suggest extra masks be carried when you need to see deco information, find your way out of a cave or wreck, or wear contact lenses. A mask cupped by the palm of your hand creates a nice mirror for bubble checks at the start of the dive. Underwater, a back-up mask can be used as a mirror, at times, depending upon the lighting. This could help with entanglements. A good signal mirror can be used too.

Old school training taught divers to make a bubble mask to read gauges and what not. Not bad trick to have if you don't always carry a spare mask.

I got my first mask with optical lenses installed after market in the summer of 1979. The first time I used it the lenses (binocular style) fell out as we neared the bottom. I was able to form a cup with one hand at just above eye level to trap air against my face to make what Trace called the "bubble mask". It worked for me and I don't carry a spare on any dives that I do. I do however check the condition of my mask on a regular basis to make sure it won't crap out on me again in the water, I've never had one knocked or kicked off....My buddy actually caught the lenses as they fell out and we installed them correctly after the dive.

In what way do you form bubbles to use them as lens? Do you flood and put some bubbles in?

You cup your hand or hands like Blue Quaker described and trap air against your face.

Sometimes, it just happens by accident when looking down without cupping. I remember I was teaching a pool class as a brand new instructor at PDIC HQ, or maybe it was during my instructor candidacy? Anyway, I was putting on my fins while breathing through my reg while standing in the shallow end of the pool. I put my face in the water without wearing a mask and a bubble rose up and stuck to my eye and allowed me to see. I mentioned that to my IT who then taught me the trick.

"Is a spare mask an absolute requirement when diving solo?"

IMO if you dive solo with respect of all solo restrains and rules (no overhead environment, diving inside NDL, diving inside comfort zone, comfort and familiar with all procedures including ascent /ascent speed/ without mask and deployment of SMB) spare mask is not absolute requirement. Despite that I think if mask strap break during the dive there is no need to deal with so many things just because I did not take the spare one. I always have spare mask in my pocket during solo. It makes me more comfort during dive specially if they are deep.

I don't suggest what others should take, but as a solo diver of 50+ years experience, I do not take an extra mask. Nowhere convenient to put it given my harness rig. However, I do place the mask strap UNDER my hood so that if it should break, the mask does not drop to the bottom out of reach. In all those years I've only had one mask strap break, but since it was still "secured" by the strap, I just pushed my camera housing against it and continued filming and the dive.

Just a question, everyone of the solo dives in 50+ years was a NDL/OW dive?

Wow. I couldn't imagine that much diving without any cavern, wreck, or deco involved.

I solo wrecks in the northeast and cave dive.... Wouldn't dream of not having a back up mask.

On a related note, I dove devil's eye with Jim Wyatt last year (not a solo dive obviously) to the white room and my mask sprung a leak at the seal. Totally flooded and was not field reparible. I swapped to the back up mask but Jim didn't even notice the break in continuity. Was darn happy to have gotten through those bedding planes being able to see...

Dan-O

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Loss of a mask on a no deco, no overhead dive is not a big deal. And, I would not plan deco/overhead dives for solo. If I did of course I would consider more/greater redundancy. For everything else, less can be more.

I cannot recall loosing a mask despite wearing them perched jauntily on my forehead. I do recall a broken strap or two. This is pretty much a non issue outside of cave/heavy tech.

N
I have lost 2 masks that I can recall. One, my then 9 year old daughter threw it at a seagull that was allegedly choking on a sock. The second was lost when I put it over my arm while towing a swamped canoe and the two canoeists to shore in cold water. In neither instance was any life in jeopardy because of the mask (well the gull might have choked to death).

I have had a strap break. But if you are not comfortable with doing a safe ascent in a non-overhead, no deco situation, and without a mask, you might not be ready for solo. Redundancy is not as important as self reliance. all the gear in the world is no substitute for keeping your head.

Back
Top Bottom