Is a Swimthrough an overhead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear

NOK
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
One of the "local" sites I like to dive in Resurrection Bay is Boulder City. It's a cove with a cliff on one side. Many large boulders fell from the cliff years ago, some of which are leaning against it, creating a protected cave-like area. It's open on both ends and viz is usually excellent (at least 20'). The diver positions over the hole at ~40' and exhales. Once you drop in to ~50', it's wide open and you can easily see the wide open other end in ambient light, the top of which is at ~70' and the bottom ~110'. Horizontal distance is ~ 20' or so. Most divers like to look around, on, between and under the boulders and wall inside this structure as there are a lot of small critters as well as some very large sponges, nudibranches, abalone, cucumbers and stuff.

Anyhow, this is a popular site for one of the local charter boats. Though they generally consider an "advanced" dive site, I did a couple of my AOW dives there (I was one of those folks who took AOW immediately after OW :D). Although I agree that because of the depth and nature of this dive, it's rightly considered an "advanced" dive, since it's open at both ends, it's not a "real" cave. What do you think?

hmmmm.... tough one....

technically, if you can not make a direct ascent to the surface, it's overhead, right?

Not that I remember. Seemed to me you could ascend directly to the surface... if on somewhat of a slant. :wink:

Well, actually, it is possible to ascend inside the overhead in a couple of places and not find the opening you came in. If you're not paying attention, it's also not that easy to see where that opening is from inside the swimthrough. If you turned around, though, you would see the larger opening, but it would be below you....

Their is plenty of swimthroughs-overhead dives to do in Coz. The operators down there will take just about anyone through them if you wish. Punta Sur exits at I believe
115-120 FSW what a blast.

bluewatertoy:
Their is plenty of swimthroughs-overhead dives to do in Coz. The operators down there will take just about anyone through them if you wish. Punta Sur exits at I believe
115-120 FSW what a blast.

...and other than that I'm very impressed with most of the operators in Cozumel...

Back
Top Bottom