Is A Trip To Aqaba From The Usa Worth It?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@thumbsplitter

This might not be possible given the recent hike in security over the past few months, best to check through one of the major hotels in Aqaba, they would deb able to provide more up to date information.

It was more than a decade ago; but I spent sometime travelling/diving around that area. Crossing the border/s wasn't hard. A few dives/days in Aqaba, then Eilat, then Taba in Eqypt is not a bad option. Taba had recently opened to diving (the hotels at Taba Heights were all brand new then) and the coral was very unspoilt.

Hi Andy - thanks for the suggestions. I hope that the corals have survived a decade of rapid warming events/ENSO. Next time, we will try to arrange a southern Red Sea dive trip on a liveaboard. best, charlie

Some thoughts and my 2cents:

No liveaboard neither from Aqaba nor from Eilat.

Aqua sport in Taba have a boat for dailies to nearby sites and they have one capable for libraboard to Dahab and back, but not sure how frequent they operate, and probably only if there is demand, as this is not the mainstream of Sinai dive scene. But even daily boat is actually cool and nice. Pharaoh island in my opinion is the least interesting site. Taba itself has about two dive sites, which are nice and healthy. With good air consumption one can do both in the same dive.

Aqaba: the only dive site that really necessitates a boat is the power station. All others are really easy to access from shore and it actually takes more time to reach by boat. Your preference.

There are about a dozen popular sites, some are big enough to be splitted into subsites. Ask of them are nice in my opinion, although as already stated, they are no match for Dahab, Sharm Ras Mohammed etc.

But Aqaba is relaxes, and can be combined with Petra and other attractions.

If you haven't dived red sea, it can be nice vacation. Don't expect big animal encounters. Biggest you're likely to see is an occasional Napoleon Humphead Wrasse, with some luck a turtle. Oh, there have been some rare spottings of Manta Rays, but really don't count on it and don't hold your breath while looking for one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom