Is an inline adjustment tool necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if I'm only doing scubapro balanced 2nd stages & I have this tool:

Scubapro Balanced Chamber Tool

do I need the inline adjustment tool, or is that just a different tool to do the same thing?

I also have that tool. It is only used to adjust older Scubapro balanced 2nd stages balance chambers, and was needed as the o-ring set-up dint seal unless the knob was fitted or the tool attached. Newer SP balance chamber set-up is different doesn't need the tool, just a small screwdriver.

The Balance Chamber tool does not work for in-line adjustment and you still need to adjust the orifice. So if you want to use a tool (rather than 'trial and error') you need another tool. Dual Drive Inline Adjusting Tool

What we have here is a failure to communicate. I believe that tbar is referring to G500s and early S600, not older, good regulators.

From the page:

The Scuba Tools Balanced Chamber Adjustment Tool was designed specifically to modify the amount of spring force applied to the back of the Scubapro G500® S600®, S600T®, &G250HP® poppets.

Different animal from the Inline Adjustment Tool..

Attached are schematics for two S600 balance chambers. Rev B is the older. I expect that the same balance chambers may be used on other models. So which one do you have on the R109s and G250Vs? The knob can be an indicator, the new knob is more tapered general with a chrome ring. If you remove the +- sticker then it is obvious as the new one has a Philips head screw.

Attachments

• ScubaPro S600 rev B Old Balance Chanber.pdf
    62.9 KB · Views: 333
  • ScubaPro S600 rev A New Balance Chamber.pdf
    57.1 KB · Views: 69
I don't know what the internals are on the 109's, I just know that George said he converted them. I have several so will have to open them up to find out. Externally they just look like the old 109's. The G250V's were bought new and were among the many stages scubapro screwed me over on the parts for life deal.

More than likely the "guts" of the 156 is the same as the G250v. Depending on how long ago they were in his hands, they could be the "old" balanced poppet, but are more than likely the current s-wing as those have been around for quite some time now. If they are "old" (blue body with a steel rod), the seat is not replaceable, as the poppet was changed at service intervals. The S-wing (white all plastic piece) has a "hat" seat that you replace, re-using the body. VDH has "upgrade" kits to get you up to date should you need to go that route.

old:
upload_2016-3-26_9-10-11.png

new:
upload_2016-3-26_9-10-45.png

what is replaced now when serviced - just the o-rings and seat, poppet body is re-used:
upload_2016-3-26_9-12-0.png

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom