Is back inflation really 'all that'?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For perspective, there are two types of jackets I've dealt with. The first, and earlier, looked like a suit jacked and did not squeeze you when fully inflated, unless it was several sizes too small. They came with a crotch strap so it wouldn't pop off you if fully inflated. The newer jackets intentionally wrap around you and squeeze so that the crotch strap is no longer necessary.

Although I use a BP/W, I perfer the older style jacket, back inflate, or a horse collar to the new style jacket.

Bob

For perspective, there are two types of jackets I've dealt with. The first, and earlier, looked like a suit jacked and did not squeeze you when fully inflated, unless it was several sizes too small. They came with a crotch strap so it wouldn't pop off you if fully inflated. The newer jackets intentionally wrap around you and squeeze so that the crotch strap is no longer necessary.

Although I use a BP/W, I perfer the older style jacket, back inflate, or a horse collar to the new style jacket.

Bob
The only jacket I ever used was most definitely of the new style as I needed the jacket snugged down to stop it sliding up but when it came time to inflate, I was squeezed so hard breathing properly became an issue.

Going back to a jacket BCD.

After reading all the positive comments on a back inflate, I switched from a jacket to a scubapro back inflate a while back.

I found the back inflate did help my orientation a little when at depth. However my main complaint was at the surface where i found it difficult to keep from being pitched forward by the back inflate system. In calm seas and for short intervals, it was manageable. However, especially with moderate swells, it was tough to not be pitched forward. I experimented quite a bit with shifting weight around and even used a tank band to put weight as far back as possible. I still could not get comfortable at the surface in moderate swells and would get worn out fighting the forward pitch if we had to wait for pick up on a drift dive for instance.

One other issue was that when cruising along at depth in a nice horizontal position, air being released from the regulator would occasionally get caught under the back collar of the back inflate BCD which made me more buoyant - I had to go vertical in the water release the trapped air and regain my neutral buoyancy. (I think this was a design problem with the brand of BCD and might not be seen with other back inflates.)

So, I'm going back to the jacket.

On the 'tipping forward' thing, I experienced it the first week or so, and then learned the tricks required to avoid it. First, less air in the BC helps you keep balanced. Too much and the air bubble raises you up too high out of the water and you tip forward.

What works best for me, however, is inflate the wing and kick onto my back, angled head out. More clearance than I used to have with jackets, and and much more comfortable. Even in pretty serious swell. Better situational awareness as well.

I don't think I'd enjoy a crotch strap so much.
Having the BC secure enables perfect control of your attitude and buoyancy.

On the 'tipping forward' thing, I experienced it the first week or so, and then learned the tricks required to avoid it.
Steel tanks help too! :D

@scuba5150, what kind of back inflate are you using? Never heard of one trapping air under it. Something is very wrong with your setup, if your bladder is that much forward it traps your exhaust air.
It was already mentioned, but back inflate and BPW will never rise you up as jacket BCD would on surface. So if you putt enough air to rise, it will tilt forward. All you have to do is to lean back and lay on it. All you have to do to stop fighting it is to put your legs in front of you instead of keeping them dangling below you

.... I switched from a jacket to a scubapro back inflate a while back.
I found the back inflate did help my orientation a little when at depth. However my main complaint was at the surface where i found it difficult to keep from being pitched forward by the back inflate system.

I used to dive using a Scubapro Nighthawk which is a back inflate system. I had the same pitching forward problem both at the surface and while suspended vertically at depth. I discovered that the weights had slid all the way forward in the BCD pockets. The weights slide forward when you go horizontal during the dive. The weights ended up a little forward of the centerline of my body causing me to rotate forward. To fix this I would lean back while grabbing the front of the weight pockets. I would then lift slightly to cause the weights to slide backward. After doing this I had no problems staying upright.

@scuba5150, what kind of back inflate are you using? Never heard of one trapping air under it. Something is very wrong with your setup, if your bladder is that much forward it traps your exhaust air.
It was already mentioned, but back inflate and BPW will never rise you up as jacket BCD would on surface. So if you putt enough air to rise, it will tilt forward. All you have to do is to lean back and lay on it. All you have to do to stop fighting it is to put your legs in front of you instead of keeping them dangling below you

It's a scubapro seahawk. I believe the problem is the way the BC is stitched together. There is a space between the bladder and harness that lets air in from the side, but the top part is stitched shut so the air cannot easily escape. I read one other comment on one of the forums that someone else had the same problem. At first I figured I was just having buoyancy issues at depth (maybe breathing too deeply) but then figured out that I was able to release the trapped air.

Leaning back on lying on the bladder is OK calm water, but in moderate swells it gets kind of old having to breathe through the regulator waiting to be picked up.

If that is the case and it is definitely trapping air then it is poorly designed. I would go to the extent of putting a couple of eyelets into the fabric in the top section to allow that air to escape - doing that should only cost a couple of dollars.

My wing has no openings for air to get in between the bladder and cover and as I only have a bare harness, there is nothing else for air to get trapped in.

Have to say I have never had any great issues with my wing tipping me forward. I have some weight on my belt and a couple of kg on the harness but at the side on both and never felt like I was tipping. At the surface, I simply sit in the harness (with my weight on the crotch strap) almost like a comfortable chair.

Looks like SP ****** up
1451416428_2700225_n.jpg

and put the buoyancy in the wrong place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom