Is Christmas week a good or bad idea to come to Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We, to this point, always go down during the last of March, and the first 10 days or so of April. Over the last 10 years we've probably missed 4, maybe 5 days due to Nortes. As MMM said though, never more than 2 in a row. The wind may have still been blowing on the third and fourth days, but not enough to close the port.

We, to this point, always go down during the last of March, and the first 10 days or so of April. Over the last 10 years we've probably missed 4, maybe 5 days due to Nortes. As MMM said though, never more than 2 in a row. The wind may have still been blowing on the third and fourth days, but not enough to close the port.
You never know. I have been diving Cozumel for 20+ years and I have twice had dives blown out by nortes in May.

We did Occidental last December 12-18th for $1100 All inclusive for two....booked same for this year for December 16-23rd at the exact same price which I consider a steal! Dive with ProDive on site for $35/tank including Nitrox!

Add in airfare, and you have a 4 star experience at a 2star price imho!
Yup !! this is the week to go ANYWHERE !

Last 3/4 trips we have been on its been wonderful , not many people as most are waiting for their Xmas break on the following weeks .

Just locked in for a reasonable number of Aeroplan points. Direct from YYZ. Not Xmas week proper but a few days earlier. Leaving CZM on Boxing Day.

Working illegally is definitely not what I was implying. Sorry you read it that way. I was referring to getting a work permit to help out a shop during the peak times, as dive pro's can be hard to come by during that time.

Actually, immigration laws in Mexico are very strict and getting a seasonal work VISA is not really an option. Additionally, as a foreigner, it's difficult to get one period because we have plenty of locals who are qualified and experienced to do the work. It's not difficult to find staff during the peak times.

Actually, immigration laws in Mexico are very strict and getting a seasonal work VISA is not really an option. Additionally, as a foreigner, it's difficult to get one period because we have plenty of locals who are qualified and experienced to do the work. It's not difficult to find staff during the peak times.

When I was in PDC about 4 years ago, the dive op owner complained about a lack of available instructors, as they couldn't meet the demand. I have no idea of the situation, as I've never owned a dive op there nor have I worked there.

When I was in PDC about 4 years ago, the dive op owner complained about a lack of available instructors, as they couldn't meet the demand. I have no idea of the situation, as I've never owned a dive op there nor have I worked there.

Huge difference between Cozumel and Playa in the diving industry. Since diving is Cozumel's primary draw - we have a larger pool of qualified local DM's and Instructors than hey do over there. In fact, when I get resumes from foreign DM's/Instructors I refer them over to Playa where there are huge resorts who can sponsor them if they need help.

Huge difference between Cozumel and Playa in the diving industry. Since diving is Cozumel's primary draw - we have a larger pool of qualified local DM's and Instructors than hey do over there. In fact, when I get resumes from foreign DM's/Instructors I refer them over to Playa where there are huge resorts who can sponsor them if they need help.

I did note a difference in dive guides between the two locations. I can understand why locals would prefer to work in Coz than PDC.

Christmas is my favorite time on the island. The weather is great, people are happy, things are bustling, everything is decorated and lit. It's fun.

Mexico has a very liberal attitude towards their citzens working in other countries they have very strict labor laws concerning foreign nationals working in Mexico.

I not actually aware of any country that officially has any official stance on their citizens working in other countries. The USA most certainly does not. Mexico is strict about foreigners working in their country, but not ridiculously so. I have legal permission to work in Mexico that was not at all difficult to get.

As Christi said, Cozumel has plenty of highly-qualified dive professionals who are underemployed. The island is staffed for high season, so people go hungry during low season. There's no need for "extra" DM's or instructors in high season.

One thing that doesn't seem to have come up in this regard yet is that dive guides working in the marine park (that is, nearly all Cozumel dive sites) must be licensed by the marine park, which does do specific training and testing for this.

Back
Top Bottom