Is Cozumel safe from drug cartels?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from Coz. I only saw one soldier at the airport and he wasn't armed. Can't recall seeing any around the town either, but I spent most of my time diving. The navy ships I saw were pretty far out and not moving very fast.

My LDS owner was in Cancun last fall and said he had seen quite a few armed soldiers actually patroling the beaches and the streets.

Thanks for that info. It doesn't surprise me that the dogs have been at work for years--I just didn't remember seeing them. And I assumed the US ship was there on a somewhat casual or cooperative basis. I thought Cozumel might be an attractive stop for them if only because of proximity to Cuba!

My wife and I have been going to Cozumel 2-3 times a year for 5 years and have never had even a whiff of a problem. We walk all over town up until 11 PM or so and have no worries. Would be out even later but we have to get up and dive in the mornings. :D

We just got back from an amazing trip to Cozumel about a week ago. The only problem we had the whole time was from a drunk guest at the hotel who decided it would be funny to completely soak my dry suede shoes when I was walking close to the pool! Otherwise we felt completely safe and had a great time!!! P.S.- the diving was REALLY great!!

While it is an important question to ask for people, my response is always: Do you feel safe in your bathtub? More people die in their tub, than were murdered in Cozumel. That usually ends the "you are crazy for going to Mexico" conversation.
Happy diving and enjoy the trip!

I think I noticed the soldiers with dogs years ago but didn't pay much attention as such have been common in airports in countries I have visited since the 80s. Don't pet working dogs of any kind tho - improper. Let them lead or sniff or whatever their job is.

I spent a night in the Market district of Cancun a couple of years ago after some dental work. Talk about a lot of armed soldiers! :shocked2: They were at every hotel entrance at least. As Lamont said, being in a tourist area is no guarantee, see the west coasts, but in the Yucatan - much safer. For one, the national government invested heavily to attract us so perhaps there is more political interest in keeping us happy. 40 years ago only 3 people lived on the Isla Cancun plantation.
My wife and I have been going to Cozumel 2-3 times a year for 5 years and have never had even a whiff of a problem. We walk all over town up until 11 PM or so and have no worries. Would be out even later but we have to get up and dive in the mornings. :D
That is what keeps most divers out of even the slightest risks: We go home early for next morning dives generally - with exceptions.
I did a double take when I was walking along the malecon one evening and heard The Star Spangled Banner.
Ever heard the original song from which F.S.Key stole the tune? I guess we're far enough down in this thread for this...

That sounded like crap.

That sounded like crap.
It was originally a drinking song so they pretended to be drunk. Recognize the tune...?

Okay, I'm not a newbie. I've been to Cozumel, Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Isla Mujeres on several occasions. However, I read today about the slaying in Acapulco, which is a tourist destination. I've also heard about a shooting in Cancun that may or may not have been drug cartel related a few months back. It's hard to know what to believe with rumors swirling around.

My wife and I are scheduled to head to Cozumel in May. She's feeling really uneasy about how unsafe Mexico in general has come. I told her Cozumel should be fine as it's an island. Is this drug cartel scare due to an overzealous media, or is there real concern in tourist destinations in all of Mexico? We have trip insurance, and she said if there continues to be these types of events she wants to cancel and go to another "safe" destination. Trust me, I'm not panicking, but I do understand her concerns. Any thoughts?

Is Cozumel safe from drug cartels? No absolutely not.
There was an article not to long ago in the local newspaper that said they thought there was about 15 very active drug gangs in Cozumel. Are there any tourists being killed like in other areas of Mexico? NO. However if you follow the news from the Yucatan and Cozumel you would have read in the last few months about tourists being killed around Cancun and PDC. So far there has not been an explosion in violence on Cozumel but that does not mean it can't happen. IMO the Mexican govt better get these drug cartels under control in a hurry or they will not have any money from tourists for a long time. If you want to know more about the local news stories to read for yourself just google them and click on the translate page button. Some of them are:

Por Esto
Diario
El Seminario
Novedades

Back
Top Bottom