Is Cozumel safe from drug cartels?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robbcayman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Okay, I'm not a newbie. I've been to Cozumel, Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Isla Mujeres on several occasions. However, I read today about the slaying in Acapulco, which is a tourist destination. I've also heard about a shooting in Cancun that may or may not have been drug cartel related a few months back. It's hard to know what to believe with rumors swirling around.

My wife and I are scheduled to head to Cozumel in May. She's feeling really uneasy about how unsafe Mexico in general has come. I told her Cozumel should be fine as it's an island. Is this drug cartel scare due to an overzealous media, or is there real concern in tourist destinations in all of Mexico? We have trip insurance, and she said if there continues to be these types of events she wants to cancel and go to another "safe" destination. Trust me, I'm not panicking, but I do understand her concerns. Any thoughts?

When we are in Cozumel, whenever we have to go from, say, the hotel to the pool, or, from the pool to the bar, we simply run in a serpentine fashion and constantly adjust our speed from fast to slow and back and that makes it very difficult for the gangs to hit you when they shoot. This method has always worked for us. :D

Honestly, chances are that Cozumel is many times safer than wherever you are right now.

Last edited:
I feel safer in Cozumel at night than I do in downtown Jacksonville FL. With that said - be smart when you are out at night - stay together, don't venture into dark alley's, etc.

You are exactly right when you mention an 'overzealous media'. There was a report on the news this morning about 3 separate stabbings in my city last night. Few of us here could even recall the last time we heard of any problems on the GOM side of Mexico(like you said about a shooting in Cancun you had to guess at being months ago), never mind something like multiple crimes in one night. They'd be calling Mexico the most dangerous place in the world if that happened yet people aren't avoiding Calgary because of last night's events. It's sad to watch people being duped into perceiving Mexico, outside of the border region, as dangerous.

Regarding Acapulco, I can't remember the last time I ever heard of someone going there on vacation in the last 10 years.

I live here on the island and I feel safe here. I have been here for three years and have never felt uneasy walking around at night. If you are looking for drugs or trouble then you may have some problems with the police. Come down and have a great time

So, if someone got shot in New York, would that keep you from diving in California?

Lots of interesting responses above. In truth, no place is safe, including your own bathroom. My only reason for not going to Cozumel these days is that the diving is much better in Indonesia and the Philippines. I've been to Cozumel many times in the past, and think the place, especially on a diving itinerary, has little reason to generate concern. Besides, killing tourists is bad for business.

Look, the nature of the local people is to be friendly and happy. That may be self interest as they have a much better life than most Mexicans because they live off the tourist trade, or they are just happy people. But I have known many of them since 1992 and if their children ever messed with a tourist they'ed beat them to a pulp.

On the other hand, there must be some opportunity for drugs to infiltrate the island as where there is a market, supply will show up.

But as for violence, that chance is pretty remote. You see, if you do something VERY bad, there is only one practical way off the island, the ferry. If it is real bad the police can shut down the ferry and nab you before you can get away.

Most of the time I live in Cozumel and let my wife and 11 year old daughter walk anywhere, day or night with no worry. Indeed I had much more worry when we lived in a nice private community Southern California.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Well, there are not many ways off of the island: ferry, plane, private boats.
Honestly, chances are that Cozumel is many times safer than wherever you are right now.
Robby I think your question is reasonable and it's good to discuss this now and then as things change. My brother thinks I am crazy for going to Coz, much less driving on the peninsula, but he has never been out of the US and tends to think all of Mexico the same - kinda like Los Angeles and NYC - which he has visited. Yeah, the tourist areas including Cozumel, the Mayan Riveria, even Isla Cancun are safer generally than most American cities. Please tell you wife that I would have tried my best to stop my kid and grandkids from going last month if I was at all worried.

There are exceptions sure, 4 drug people murdered one night on Coz a few years ago, 1 more recently it think and the employee of the cruise boat very recently, some isolated eruptions away from tourist areas around Cancun, etc. but they are so rare. Walking alone after midnight in some places on Coz may be dumb, but it's easy to stick to reasonably safe guidelines.

This year anyway. The mainland war is certainly real and there is no guarantee that things won't change sometime, but - if anything, go now while we know it's still safe.

Say what???? What dillehay said. I live in town, walk (or cycle) everywhere, and never worry for a heartbeat. I would NOT do that in my home city back in Canada at night. I don't do drugs but if I did, I think they are probably available further back in the 'hood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom