Is Diver Alert (Whistle on LP inflator) DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also carry this alert system. It covers a lot of issues and fits right in my hip pocket. It might not be DIR?[/IMG]

OMG where's the AI interface? You're gonna die!!

That is a seriously awesome leatherbeerman

I was talking to JeffG today. I mentioned that I was going through a bunch of old papers that I got off the internets, with most from around 1999/2000. I had printed them off because I thought at the time the information on them was worth saving. Stuff like explaining the oxygen window theory, Bakers' dozen of 100% over 80%, the basics of DIR, George's deco practices... etc etc. Really crest of the wave, edge of the knife stuff. Most of it came from Techdiver, some from rec.scuba and a couple from TDS's early days. Authors were people like GIII, JJ, Eddie Brian, Scott Hunsucker, Mike Kane, Bill Hamilton, ...(oddly enough one of the things I saved was DA Aquamaster's 3rd post to TDS. I guess everybody can be right once in a while).

Flash forward 9 years and the biggest topics are 7' vs 5' hoses, how to prepare for Fundies, and whether or not a Dive Alert is DIR.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

Flash forward 9 years and the biggest topics are 7' vs 5' hoses, how to prepare for Fundies, and whether or not a Dive Alert is DIR.

It has come a long way. Now the arguments are over the really stupid stuff people decide to dream up because their diving is "different". That argument was old even in the techdiver days. On the bright side, a dive alert in a pocket isn't a big deal. It is the mentality around adding this sort of stuff in many cases that needs better education still. I would be willing to bet that the majority of people carrying a dive alert in their pocket also have other minor nonsense with them as well. That is the real issue. Many more people understand the gear now but many still don't get that the gear is a product of the planning mindset and adding crap to avoid proper planning is not what DIR is about.

I still remember my first interaction with JJ where I finally saw Mr. Patience lose it. I was arguing about not changing out my SPG clip to a smaller one because I was cheap and wanted to wait until I could order them for less than retail. He looks at me and says, you showed up 99% there, just change the damn clip. The fact that that is the level of stuff that is debated now is generally a good thing.

I was talking to JeffG today. I mentioned that I was going through a bunch of old papers that I got off the internets, with most from around 1999/2000. I had printed them off because I thought at the time the information on them was worth saving. Stuff like explaining the oxygen window theory, Bakers' dozen of 100% over 80%, the basics of DIR, George's deco practices... etc etc. Really crest of the wave, edge of the knife stuff. Most of it came from Techdiver, some from rec.scuba and a couple from TDS's early days. Authors were people like GIII, JJ, Eddie Brian, Scott Hunsucker, Mike Kane, Bill Hamilton, ...(oddly enough one of the things I saved was DA Aquamaster's 3rd post to TDS. I guess everybody can be right once in a while).

What was the average experience level of the people discussing those earlier topics, compared to the the average experience level of the people discussing the latter?

My guess is that in the earlier days, DIR was generally about people with years and hundreds (if not thousands) of dives worth of experience. Nowadays it's dominated by people with less than 50 dives and working towards a provisional in their Fundies class.

Different mindset.

Look at the bright side, it's not the "I've been certified for almost two weeks, am I ready for solo diving?" discussions we're getting elsewhere on SB ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So where did all those people go, who wrote those great discussions?

When we introduced the DIR Practitioner's section of this board, I know Richard Jack tried hard to start some good discussions there, and there was so little activity on them that they died quickly and he gave up.

Maybe there's nothing more to talk about. Maybe all the material is now in the classes, so people don't feel like putting it out there for free. Maybe there's nothing left but complete consensus. What I do know is that there aren't many truly experienced and knowledgeable DIR folks left on SB, and the discussions tend to be the long hose/fundies type. Which is the chicken, I don't know, but it's kind of sad.

Some (thankfully) quit diving to build sportfishing boats. Others have retired.

When we introduced the DIR Practitioner's section of this board, I know Richard Jack tried hard to start some good discussions there, and there was so little activity on them that they died quickly and he gave up.

Maybe there's nothing more to talk about. Maybe all the material is now in the classes, so people don't feel like putting it out there for free. Maybe there's nothing left but complete consensus. What I do know is that there aren't many truly experienced and knowledgeable DIR folks left on SB, and the discussions tend to be the long hose/fundies type. Which is the chicken, I don't know, but it's kind of sad.

Ehem, I'm still here. We've still had an occasional "practicitioners" discussion. I am happy to have more, although Rtodd has been grumpy lately and seems to think that discussing class academic topics like cave stage bottle gas management are better left to classes.

I would guess that most people don't want to discuss their Tech1/Cave1 and up diving on SB. I think I am the only person who's (ever) posted a trip report here. And I got grief for our optimistic 2 stage swim into JB (which I thought was fun but I was drafting Atlanta and he called uncle on umpph moreso than gas). Sure in hindsight we could have done that dive on backgas, although that wasn't what we initially set out to do.

If you want to discuss something more than "is xyz DIR?" fire away. Just don't ask "how do I practice thinking?" :lotsalove:

<asskissing> TSandM, rjack, Bob, and the other thinkers... as someone who has not completely made the switch yet (have the gear but not the training ) the old discussions and new still prove to have value (when you can see through the flames) There often is some good underlying information that non-DIR or not-yet-DIR divers can take away from the posts and use to better their understanding of DIR. It's not the post that say "The is DIR or this is not DIR" that help, it's the one's that explain "Why this is the DIR way and how it was arrived at" that are valuable.

I beleive my first time in the ballroom at Ginnie I had my Dive Alert, my SMB, and my Snorkle... I used my handhelp light, and jacket-style BC. (HOLD YOUR FIRE!) Because that is what I had been taught I needed or should use up to that point. Now I know I should have my snokle in my pocket and not on my mask... ;-)

It was actually learning about DIR on SB that opened my eyes a bit and made me do some non SB reasearch on DIR. I've now switched my rig, and look forward to taking fundies later this summer. But if it wasn't for post like yours, we would have had ZERO exposure to DIR here in southwest Florida (just three hours south of cave country) Going to Ginnie we see "Cave Divers" and would have not known anything about DIR divers, or that those skills could also translate to our wussified open water diving. (Yes it's true - wussified... I'm going to learn to dive dry as when the temp got below 70 this year it was too cold to dive - even in my 7)

So Please keep posting, if nothing else; the inteligent and educating posts are good promotion for Doing It Right, and with SB being many folks first exposure to DIR it's all the more important. </asskissing>

Some have quit diving.

Some are out there diving.

Some have lost the luster on the new penny and no longer follow as closely.

Some have grown tired of answering the same questions for every new diver that comes along and then arguing the semantics about those things with "old timers" who will never get it because they dont want to get it.

Some people tend to get marooned on the island of mis-information like "it's not DIR unless it's black." They couldn't be found if you sent the entire US Coast Guard to look for them and a lot of people no longer see the point in doing a SAR for them anymore.

seems to think that discussing class academic topics like cave stage bottle gas management are better left to classes.

I think this may be the key. The classes are more numerous and available, and the curriculum has been solidified, and folks just figure it's best to leave everything to the classes. And maybe it is. But the quality discussions are a good way to attract the attention of people who appreciate the attraction of being thinking divers . . .

And Richard, I won't ask how to practice thinking. Nobody ever gives me good answers, anyway :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom