Is Diver Alert (Whistle on LP inflator) DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some have quit diving.

Some are out there diving.

Some have lost the luster on the new penny and no longer follow as closely.

Some have grown tired of answering the same questions for every new diver that comes along and then arguing the semantics about those things with "old timers" who will never get it because they dont want to get it.

Some people tend to get marooned on the island of mis-information like "it's not DIR unless it's black." They couldn't be found if you sent the entire US Coast Guard to look for them and a lot of people no longer see the point in doing a SAR for them anymore.

As cynical as it sounds, that was artfully framed.

I think this may be the key. The classes are more numerous and available, and the curriculum has been solidified, and folks just figure it's best to leave everything to the classes. And maybe it is. But the quality discussions are a good way to attract the attention of people who appreciate the attraction of being thinking divers . . .

I'm not sure I agree on classes being so available. Certainly not at the C2/T2 level. There just aren't very many instructors. And as you know it can be hard to find buddies.

I don't need to attract attention. The people who want to know will find out, those who don't won't.

As cynical as it sounds, that was artfully framed.

Thank you.

Cynicism wasn't the intent, just a recounting of my own personal observations. I've witnessed all of the things I mentioned happen first hand.

The people who want to know will find out, those who don't won't.

That was my experience as well. When the light bulb goes on for them, they want to know where the electricity is coming from.

Without raising this old yarn again, I just found the DIR practitioner forum a bit intimidating, like some empty palace of yore. Most questions you could just ask in the regular DIR forum, which has quite a bit of overlap since it was limited to DIR answers anyways, and you had to specifically opt in or get authorized for DIRPrac. The forum rules sounded a bit draconian too, and I always got the sense that asking a "basic" question would get the :rolleyes: pretty quickly. Also, seems like the level of public flaming/DIRtrolling has gone down quite a bit lately, and there's not as much a need for a shielded forum. Maybe it's just me though.

Some (thankfully) quit diving to build sportfishing boats. Others have retired.

Ehem, I'm still here. We've still had an occasional "practicitioners" discussion. I am happy to have more, although Rtodd has been grumpy lately and seems to think that discussing class academic topics like cave stage bottle gas management are better left to classes.

Trey still dives, just not the big cave stuff. If you keep in mind that Trey was a bond trader and his personality was tame by those standards, you can focus on the information. Plus, he is fun to dive with and talk to in person.

Come on, I am pretty sure I have posted at least twice as much useful stage gas management info than anyone else here in the last few years. I linked a detailed discussion and told the complete newbie to get proper training before he asked questions about stuff for which he wouldn't understand the answer. :mooner:

If you and a handful of others want to discuss anything, open a thread in practioners and I will participate. Better yet, lets go diving in Mexico.

The only difference between the two forums now is that certain "protected class" problem posters can't post in practioners. I don't think Lamont takes his role as seriously as say JeffG did. :wink:

Like all forums that don't have an off-topic community, people get tired of seeing the same questions over and over. Personally, I felt like the discussions were often better when responding to strokes who refused to learn because it provided more concrete examples. Answering the really dumb, what type of foldable snorkel should I use when I dive in a low vis high currents kiddie pool in my backyard questions, is just scraping the bottom of the barrel when there are no other useful discussions.

Well, I'm headed to Mexico Thursday, wanna come?

I don't think Lamont takes his role as seriously as say JeffG did. :wink:
Diving is serious business.

Trey still dives, just not the big cave stuff. If you keep in mind that Trey was a bond trader and his personality was tame by those standards, you can focus on the information. Plus, he is fun to dive with and talk to in person.
Maybe for you, I'm not really interested. Mostly based on gavin scooters list persona vs. techdiver persona.

Come on, I am pretty sure I have posted at least twice as much useful stage gas management info than anyone else here in the last few years. I linked a detailed discussion and told the complete newbie to get proper training before he asked questions about stuff for which he wouldn't understand the answer. :mooner:

If you and a handful of others want to discuss anything, open a thread in practioners and I will participate. Better yet, lets go diving in Mexico.

This weekend is an attempt at diving a local "cave" we'll see how it goes - its in the boonies. Next real caves are September 24-28 in FL, November 30-Dec 6th in MX. You're welcome if you can tolerate kicking, I know shudder.

The only difference between the two forums now is that certain "protected class" problem posters can't post in practioners. I don't think Lamont takes his role as seriously as say JeffG did. :wink:

Like all forums that don't have an off-topic community, people get tired of seeing the same questions over and over. Personally, I felt like the discussions were often better when responding to strokes who refused to learn because it provided more concrete examples. Answering the really dumb, what type of foldable snorkel should I use when I dive in a low vis high currents kiddie pool in my backyard questions, is just scraping the bottom of the barrel when there are no other useful discussions.

I would bet money TS&M has been diving with 50% of the regulars here. Me, only a couple.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom