Is Halcyon the Gold Standard & Options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a Halcyon 40# Eclipse. Its a fine BP/W, I can't really complain about it. The reason I went Halcyon is that after so much reasearch on gear I got fatigued and didn't bother investigating the others. If I had it all to do over I'd probably shop around more -- you do wind up paying for the H.

Backplates ... in my current inventory I have Dive Rite, FredT, Koplin/Oxycheq, and DeepSeaSupply (DSS).

In order of preference ... DSS, FredT, Koplin/Oxycheq, and Dive Rite.

The DSS and FredT plates are about equal quality ... which is very high. My preference of the DSS over the FredT is due to three things - (1) bend angle, the DSS is a much flatter plate, and I prefer having my cylinder as close to my back as I can get it (your mileage may vary); (2) the rubber grommets in the strap slots prevent your harness from wearing out ... and for someone like me who puts 300+ dives in a year, that's worth considering; (3) DSS has a nice system of plate weights that screw right into the back of the plate for those who want to put more weight on their backplate.

I prefer the Koplin/Oxycheq plate over the Dive Rite because it's a bit shorter, and has more rounded corners ... which makes it fit my body better. The corners of the DR plate tend to dig into the hips a bit, and when I used it on a regular basis I ended up with some wear marks on my drysuit from the plate.

To respond to the originator's remarks ... I would shop around a bit before buying. Halcyon makes good gear, but their prices are higher than some equally-impressive alternatives.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've owned Halcyon, OMS and GUTS backplates. The Halcyon was overpriced, the OMS had the nicest finish, and the GUTS tall plate I currently use was a great buy. I'm 6'4 too, and I found the tall plates work better for me. Koplin, FredT and Deep Sea all make tall plates that you should look into.

Bladder-wise, Dive Rite, Halcyon, Oxycheq, OMS would all do fine. Don't let the hype around Halcyon fool you: they're fine products, but no better than others. My Halcyon Explorer was no better than my OMS non-banded bladder, or my Dive Rite either. Stick with quality brands and shop by price.

wtrdoc52:
Hello, just joined this great scuba board. I have read the other threads on this subject and found the replies extremely helpful. However, they also left me with additional questions, which is a good thing! I'm a 6'4", 275# lapsed diver and am gearing up to begin diving again in the Spring. My diving will be in Lake Champlain and the New England Coast. Expect to wear 7 MM wetsuit. The last BC owned was a NE Diver horse collar that served me faithfully. I have used rental jacket style BC's a few times. The local dive shop is recommending I purchase a Halcyon 40# Eclipse Wing w/ Secure Harness backplate system and a ACB30 weight system. Price tag is $700.00. I'm told this system will last me forever, is extremely comfortable and simple to use.

However, in reading the other threads on this subject, I notice people mentioning other types of wings and backplates? Also notice people listing prices for these items much lower than what I was quoted by dive shop? Assume this is a case of getting what you pay for upfront? Is Halcyon considered the industry standard? I take it that people who mix and match wings, harnesses and backplates are experienced in using this type of BC system? Is it better for someone new to these systems to buy a Halcyon setup?

Any and all commments and advice are appreciated!
An additional point to consider is the "Support Your LDS" side of the equation.

That your LDS actually pointed you to a BP/wing rig instead of a conventional jacket BC is unusual, and from my biased viewpoint suggests that the shop is knowledgable and is actually interested in getting you into the best gear as opposed to the most expensive gear. If your shop doesn't carry BPs and wings other than Halcyon, and they probably don't, you'll have to buy the alternative products online or by mail order. It's up to you to decide if the premium you'll pay to your LDS for the Halcyon rig is worth it for the service and help they can give you not just with the rig but with all the other aspects of your diving.

BTW, you may be able to negotiate a bit of a discount on the Halcyon equipment from your LDS, but the shop's margins from Halcyon are typically smaller than from other manufacturers, so don't expect much.

Last but not least, the BP/wing configuration can't be beat in my opinion, but you may want to reconsider on the ACB system. It's expensive for what you get, and some people just don't like how it works. Try a plain weight belt first - it's much cheaper.

I'm 6'-3", 240lbs and decided to get the XL FredT plate. No regrets. I'm using a 45# oxycheq wing with it. 7lb plate, 5lb sta (FredT as well). Great setup.

Something else to consider. My shop did not carry Oxycheq when I wanted to buy my wing. I asked them if they could get it for me and they did. Never hurts to ask.

wtrdoc52:
Hello, just joined this great scuba board. I have read the other threads on this subject and found the replies extremely helpful. However, they also left me with additional questions, which is a good thing! I'm a 6'4", 275# lapsed diver and am gearing up to begin diving again in the Spring. My diving will be in Lake Champlain and the New England Coast. Expect to wear 7 MM wetsuit. The last BC owned was a NE Diver horse collar that served me faithfully. I have used rental jacket style BC's a few times. The local dive shop is recommending I purchase a Halcyon 40# Eclipse Wing w/ Secure Harness backplate system and a ACB30 weight system. Price tag is $700.00. I'm told this system will last me forever, is extremely comfortable and simple to use.

However, in reading the other threads on this subject, I notice people mentioning other types of wings and backplates? Also notice people listing prices for these items much lower than what I was quoted by dive shop? Assume this is a case of getting what you pay for upfront? Is Halcyon considered the industry standard? I take it that people who mix and match wings, harnesses and backplates are experienced in using this type of BC system? Is it better for someone new to these systems to buy a Halcyon setup?

Any and all commments and advice are appreciated!

I just noticed that you're in VT. Send me a PM if you want to go diving.. I'll let you borrow my bp/wing for a dive if you want to try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom