Is Halcyon the Gold Standard & Options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
NWGratefulDiver:
Backplates ... in my current inventory I have Dive Rite, FredT, Koplin/Oxycheq, and DeepSeaSupply (DSS).

In order of preference ... DSS, FredT, Koplin/Oxycheq, and Dive Rite.

The DSS and FredT plates are about equal quality ... which is very high. My preference of the DSS over the FredT is due to three things - (1) bend angle, the DSS is a much flatter plate, and I prefer having my cylinder as close to my back as I can get it (your mileage may vary); (2) the rubber grommets in the strap slots prevent your harness from wearing out ... and for someone like me who puts 300+ dives in a year, that's worth considering; (3) DSS has a nice system of plate weights that screw right into the back of the plate for those who want to put more weight on their backplate.

I prefer the Koplin/Oxycheq plate over the Dive Rite because it's a bit shorter, and has more rounded corners ... which makes it fit my body better. The corners of the DR plate tend to dig into the hips a bit, and when I used it on a regular basis I ended up with some wear marks on my drysuit from the plate.

To respond to the originator's remarks ... I would shop around a bit before buying. Halcyon makes good gear, but their prices are higher than some equally-impressive alternatives.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks for the comparisons.

WJL:
An additional point to consider is the "Support Your LDS" side of the equation.

That your LDS actually pointed you to a BP/wing rig instead of a conventional jacket BC is unusual, and from my biased viewpoint suggests that the shop is knowledgable and is actually interested in getting you into the best gear as opposed to the most expensive gear. If your shop doesn't carry BPs and wings other than Halcyon, and they probably don't, you'll have to buy the alternative products online or by mail order. It's up to you to decide if the premium you'll pay to your LDS for the Halcyon rig is worth it for the service and help they can give you not just with the rig but with all the other aspects of your diving.

BTW, you may be able to negotiate a bit of a discount on the Halcyon equipment from your LDS, but the shop's margins from Halcyon are typically smaller than from other manufacturers, so don't expect much.

Last but not least, the BP/wing configuration can't be beat in my opinion, but you may want to reconsider on the ACB system. It's expensive for what you get, and some people just don't like how it works. Try a plain weight belt first - it's much cheaper.

Bill, thanks for the input on my LDS. These folks have been great in talking with me about my equipment needs. I know I can get less expensive equipment online, but am conflicted because I want to see these folks stay in business and get paid for the time invested with me. Also, thanks for the tip about the weight belt. I hate weight belts and would like to shift as much weight off waist as possible.

Quarrior:
Something else to consider. My shop did not carry Oxycheq when I wanted to buy my wing. I asked them if they could get it for me and they did. Never hurts to ask.

Good thought. Thanks.

wtrdoc52:
Bill, thanks for the input on my LDS. These folks have been great in talking with me about my equipment needs. I know I can get less expensive equipment online, but am conflicted because I want to see these folks stay in business and get paid for the time invested with me. Also, thanks for the tip about the weight belt. I hate weight belts and would like to shift as much weight off waist as possible.
The ACB pockets will keep the weight in your waist area.

Depending on your exposure protection and the size of your tank, you may not need any extra weight at all, either on a belt or otherwise. The best way to find out is to get in your exposure suit, get your rig in the water and do some testing. I'd try it first without the ACB pockets - you may find you don't need them.

If you do need to carry some weight, you will have to decide if you are going to want the weight to be ditchable. If you decide you don't need ditchable weight or you want to minimize your ditchable weight, you might consider tank trim pockets or a v-weight. That will keep most or all the added weight off your waist.

Having used a Halcyon setup with ACB pockets - I have to admit that they are much more comfortable than a weightbelt, and the bulk of the weight is actually transferred to your shoulders not your waist.

I now use XS Scuba 5lb pockets - waaaaaaaaaay cheaper.

You may want to check the Dive Rite 32# weight system, I only use 3# in each and the extra space is used to carry my sausage, mini strobe, and mesh bag in one pocket and UK SL4 back up light in the other pocket. everything is cliped to the internal D-ring except the soft 3# weights.
In case you have to ditch, only the weight goes away!!

Mandy3206:
You may want to check the Dive Rite 32# weight system, I only use 3# in each and the extra space is used to carry my sausage, mini strobe, and mesh bag in one pocket and UK SL4 back up light in the other pocket. everything is cliped to the internal D-ring except the soft 3# weights.
In case you have to ditch, only the weight goes away!!

Hello Mandy, thanks for the reply. I'm just starting to get my head around the bp/wing config. I looked at the Dive Rite weight system. Is this a separate weight belt or do the pockets attach to the Dive Rite pac system?

wtrdoc52:
Hello Mandy, thanks for the reply. I'm just starting to get my head around the bp/wing config. I looked at the Dive Rite weight system. Is this a separate weight belt or do the pockets attach to the Dive Rite pac system?

Great decision to go the BP/W config, I wish I did it about 250 dives before I did.

The DR weight pockets attach to any harness, it may be a BP/harness config, a soft BC like DR Trans Pack II, OMS IQ Pack or similar, and the one piece harness too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom