Is Halcyon the Gold Standard & Options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
especially with the smaller companies, they do not have territories, or if they do, frequently have room to add more dealers, if you want a product, as your dealer if they can get it, most of the time they can, situation might be different if its a scubapro BC or something of the like, but with most smaller companies, particularly companies catering to DIR configs, they have little representation in stores, and are open to adding more authorized dealers.

wtrdoc52:
Hello, just joined this great scuba board. I have read the other threads on this subject and found the replies extremely helpful. However, they also left me with additional questions, which is a good thing! I'm a 6'4", 275# lapsed diver and am gearing up to begin diving again in the Spring. My diving will be in Lake Champlain and the New England Coast. Expect to wear 7 MM wetsuit. The last BC owned was a NE Diver horse collar that served me faithfully. I have used rental jacket style BC's a few times. The local dive shop is recommending I purchase a Halcyon 40# Eclipse Wing w/ Secure Harness backplate system and a ACB30 weight system. Price tag is $700.00. I'm told this system will last me forever, is extremely comfortable and simple to use.

However, in reading the other threads on this subject, I notice people mentioning other types of wings and backplates? Also notice people listing prices for these items much lower than what I was quoted by dive shop? Assume this is a case of getting what you pay for upfront? Is Halcyon considered the industry standard? I take it that people who mix and match wings, harnesses and backplates are experienced in using this type of BC system? Is it better for someone new to these systems to buy a Halcyon setup?

Any and all commments and advice are appreciated!
If you don't mind buyiing a plate/harness from a now defunct company try www.virginiascuba.com. They have a few bp/harnesses from Abyss for about $110.00, I just ordered one for myself. It doesn't come with a wing so you would have to get one to go with it which would depend on what sort of diving you will be doing. But to spend $700 on a setup seems a bit high. I figure I can buy a wing for no more than $300 which means I am in business for $400.

wtrdoc52:
Hello, just joined this great scuba board. I have read the other threads on this subject and found the replies extremely helpful. However, they also left me with additional questions, which is a good thing! I'm a 6'4", 275# lapsed diver and am gearing up to begin diving again in the Spring. My diving will be in Lake Champlain and the New England Coast. Expect to wear 7 MM wetsuit. The last BC owned was a NE Diver horse collar that served me faithfully. I have used rental jacket style BC's a few times. The local dive shop is recommending I purchase a Halcyon 40# Eclipse Wing w/ Secure Harness backplate system and a ACB30 weight system. Price tag is $700.00. I'm told this system will last me forever, is extremely comfortable and simple to use.

Thats gotta be The Waterfront Dive Center...Yes?

Paul in VT

Hello Paul,

Yes, the folks at Waterfront Diving. I've been going to this shop for a while and really like the folks who run the place. Talked to them a while back about bp/w combo and they use and sell Halcyon. I'm going to see if they rent one.

Frank

Has anyone used the Hammerhead II plate? How does it rank compaired to the other plates already mentioned?

I have removed some comments after this point. Will everyone please remember that people are allowed their own points of view - and we don't allow personal attacks or flames.

As some people obviously didn't hear me the first time - there have been some more posts deleted, and this thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom