Is it a bad idea to put my transmitter on a 6 inch hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jesus-fish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Everytime I look at my wireless transmitter I think to myself......."man that things going to get snapped off"
Does anybody see a problem with me putting a 6 inch hose on the transmitter?

Thanks for your time,

I'd be tempted to run it along and affixed to one of the hoses coming off the reg so it does not dangle all over the place.

This is an interesting thread, as my wife has a remote computer, and it is very sensitive to the actual orientation of the first stage to the tank. We have to make sure that the first stage is titled at as much of an upward angle for the sender as possible, and most dive op crews don't worry about that. Wondering if putting it on a short hose, and running it down her inflator hose might make it work better?

This is an interesting thread, as my wife has a remote computer, and it is very sensitive to the actual orientation of the first stage to the tank. We have to make sure that the first stage is titled at as much of an upward angle for the sender as possible, and most dive op crews don't worry about that. Wondering if putting it on a short hose, and running it down her inflator hose might make it work better?

If your computer is on the left wrist it's worth a try. In fact the Cochrane Gemini appears that way. If you wear the computer on the right wrist I'd try running it along one of the reg hoses. You could wrap it with a bicycle inner tube band, or a velcro tie.

Works great !!......There was a previous post/thread about this so I tried it on my cave setup and it works great !!!!!....Gets the transmitter off the 1st stage and depending on the length of hose you need, can be tucked away and is more streamed-lined to avoid entanglements......I use to worry about the xmitter, now I don't even think about it....I use the 'old style' hp hose for it......

Try a 9" HP hose and then tuck the transmitter so that it sits between the cylinder and the BCD/Wing. Tucking it down there keeps it out of the way and from "flopping" around. It is quite stable and what I do when diving both singles and doubles. With mine I even went so far as to add a Suunto quick disconnect which allows me to remove the transmitter.

BTW some look down on this technique because the idea of the transmitter is to remove a hose. Yeah right, IMHO the transmitter is to well transmit the cylinder pressure to my computer. How it is connected to the reg is secondary.

I use a 4" hose on my twin set and the transmitter is located on the right post and pointed straight downwards between the back plate and wing. It is so well tucked behind the wing, that it is well protected and should be impossible to get entangled. Many times it has gone unnoticed by technical and cave instructors unless I point it out.

The high pressure hose itself has a microscopic hole = flow restriction which minimizes air flow should the hose or transmitter rupture. In addition to the transmitter, I still use a standard SPG clipped to my left waist D ring, because occasionally I forget to activate/mate the transmitter or the transmitter seizes to transmit for whatever reason. I keep my dive computer on my right hand, i.e. on the same side as the transmitter.

I have an atom 2.0 that seems to easily lose its connection (despite new batteries) so I'm going to give this a shot. Great advice. Thanks, all!

Back
Top Bottom