Is it crazy to wear a hood with a shorty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gentleman, we are talking about Kuwait here. I can’t imagine dressing in a drysuit and not passing out from hyperthermia before hitting the water. I have enough trouble on a sunny day in Monterey!
Technically we're talking about diving in The Tropics and I don't think Kuwait is there. Doesn't the line start down around Oman? But I agree with you - if I tried to use my vulcanized rubber drysuit on a hot day in Cozumel or St. Thomas I would pass out before I even hit the water. Tropical drysuits must be of a different construction maybe???

But I agree with you - if I tried to use my vulcanized rubber drysuit on a hot day in Cozumel or St. Thomas I would pass out before I even hit the water. Tropical drysuits must be of a different construction maybe???

Ya think?

:d

Yes, wearing a vulcanized rubber suit in Cozumel would be a bit much. No. Strike that; it would be asinine.

My DUI tropical dry suit is as light as a Gortex windbreaker and breathes about as well. I wear a thin layer of Capilene under it. No boots built in, so my feet get wet. On the surface it is far cooler than wearing even a 2mm wetsuit. Easier to don/doff. And it's never wet and clammy when I put it back on. Oh, and it packs smaller/lighter than a wetsuit, too.

On a liveaboard my buddy and I will do five dives a day, including long relaxing night dives. When everyone else is shivering while clamoring for warm towels and hot cocoa my buddy and I step out of our suits and up to the bar for a nice cold beer. Bonaire was 6 dives a day including a 90 min night dive at Town Pier. Even the local DM bailed on us after 45min because he was cold!

People can laugh all they want (and they do laugh) when they see us in BP/W, 7ft hoses, can lights, and dry suits in the Caymans, T&C, Curaçao, Truk, Red Sea, Hawaii, etc. But we've never come up from a dive saying "Would have been better if I had been cold."

The Arabian Gulf (from what I understand) changes a lot from summer to winter. I forget the temps I have been told, but in summer, most folks dive in t-shirt and trunks, but in winter, it gets cold enough that a lot of people don't even go in the water. Air temps are another thing altogether! Winter is actually nice, with air temps around 80F. Of course, summer it can get above 120F.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom