Is it DCS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim Ingersoll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am in Cozumel right now. After completing the fourth dive in two days my left shoulder and upper arm ache. The pain is similar to a muscle strain yet I do not recall having injured the arm during or after the dive. The pain is not severe but it is a steady ache. It is strongest in the shoulder and radiates to left pectoral and down to the elbow. Like I said it feels like a muscle strain but I am concerned since I do not recall any sort of injury. My four dives were within no deco limits on a Suunto Fusion. None of dives was deeper than 105 feet. What say?

Hi Tim:

Truth is, one cannot tell from here. However, those dives appear that decompression sickness could result (though you did not give the times and depths). I would suggest that you go to San Miguel and have the folks at the chamber check this out.

Certainly if you used your arm for strenuous activity, you certainly could have produced nuclei and DCS could result.

Good luck. Possibly the other medical doctors will add a note here, but, over the e-mail, a medical exam is out of the question

Dr D.

Just a wish for you to get well, (hopefully it's not DCS)

those vacations are for enjoying!!!

With the weather we've had lately, I've been thinking a lot about a trip to the Caribean!

Are you a member of DAN? Did you call DAN. Only an expert in DCS is qualified to give you advice, certainly not SB members scattered all over the world. Get checked out, and stop diving until you do. DAN's USA number is 1-800-446-2671 (24/7).

metaldector:
Are you a member of DAN? Did you call DAN. Only an expert in DCS is qualified to give you advice, certainly not SB members scattered all over the world. Get checked out, and stop diving until you do. DAN's USA number is 1-800-446-2671 (24/7).

He's in Cozumel...

And you don't have to be a member to call DAN collect at 919-684-8111, 24/7. (I don't care, tell it was my idea.)

Your problem may be nothing, but don't bluff. At least call for a consultation...

Tim,

I think you should go to the hospital at Calle 11 and Avenida 30. I was in Coz for two weeks and that looks like the best place to go. Also call DAN and visit the Hyperbaric Unit as previously mentioned. Over 40, you can't be too careful.

Breathing O2 won't hurt you and will help you if there is any DCI.

It is better to get checked out and not have DCI than it is to have DCI and not get checked out!

You might want to check for other reasons.

An ER can do an EKG and check O2 saturation real quickly.

Dr Deco:
Hi Tim:

Truth is, one cannot tell from here. However, those dives appear that decompression sickness could result (though you did not give the times and depths). I would suggest that you go to San Miguel and have the folks at the chamber check this out.

Certainly if you used your arm for strenuous activity, you certainly could have produced nuclei and DCS could result.

Good luck. Possibly the other medical doctors will add a note here, but, over the e-mail, a medical exam is out of the question

Dr D.

Career dives 127 through 130.

Profile: 1st day: Max. Depth 105 feet, duration 75 minutes. Relatively conservative profile. Suunto Fusion cleared at safety stop. 2nd dive: Max. Depth 85 feet, duration 70 minutes. Suunto cleared after five minute safety stop. 2nd day: Max Depth 105 feet, duration 70 minutes Suunto cleared at beginning of safety stop. 2nd dive: Max Depth 80 feet, duration 65 minutes, Suunto cleared prior to beginning safety stop.

My Suunto is verrry conservative and cleared on each dive. I have dove much deeper for less conservative profiles with no problems.

Pain has abated 50%c four hours post-dive. If symptoms persist tomorrow a.m. I will call the morning dives and head into San Miguel for a checkup. Seems strange that symptoms are only in left shoulder. Shouldn't there be other symptoms (i.e. numbness, other joint pain, etc.)? I know all cases are unique but it seems more and more like muscle strain to me. Like I said I'll head in tomorrow if symptoms aren't abated substantially. No heros here.

"If symptoms persist tomorrow a.m. I will call the morning dives and head into San Miguel for a checkup."

you are aware that the longer you wait the worse the problem gets? is it possible for you to check with an emergency room immediately?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom