Is it possible to travel responsibly (during a pandemic)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, here's a question. I've never been to Indonesia. Reading content by some who have, it's my understanding it's about a 3 - 4 day multi-flight trek to get there (from the U.S.). So, let's take a sample itinerary using return flights Dan mentioned in his Jan. 2020 Raja Ampat report:

Day 11.) Did morning diving, then sailed southward to Sorong.
Day 12.) Flew to Jakarta (4 hours).
Flew to Taipai (5 1/2 hours).
Flew to Houston (13.5 hours - but on the way down, Houston, TX (?) to Taipai was 16 1/2 hours!).

I'm guessing the boat brings you back one morning, you fly from Sorong to Jakarta that day, and an overnight stay at a hotel will at least happen between Jakarta and Taipai or Taipai and Houston, maybe both? On his trip down, I think it was Day 4 before he was on the boat.

So, when and where do you get the COVID-19 test? On your live-aboard boat? Good luck with that. In Sorong? Or is it before you board an international flight? So, get tested before boarding in Jakarta, or Taipai?

Do we now need to factor in airport COVID-19 testing and layovers long enough for test results to come back? How long of a layover do you need in Taipai before boarding the flight to Houston?

In this case, we'll need to know which airports offer COVID-19 testing. And if the U.S. demands a PCR (rather than just rapid antigen) test by the time you travel...oh, crap.

I’ll be going to Maldives in March with a long hauler flight similar to going to Indonesia. My agent @Dom@DiveAdvice told me the PCR test should be taken within 96 hours before boarding the international flight. That means within 4 days before boarding the Turkish Air in Houston.

Remember that you will lose 12 hours passing international time on the way to Indonesia, but gain 12 hours on the return flight back Houston.

On the way home, assuming Indonesia is open for us, foreign tourists, you’ll need only antigen test, which will take about 2 hours to get the result at a fraction of the PCR cost. You can get that in Jakarta airport.

You’ll fly head wind going from Houston to Taipei and tail wind on the return. The difference is fricking 3 hours for the same distance.

I add a day after disembarking the boat in Male before flying home to have enough time to get an antigen test & retest if I get false positive. I’ll be making dang sure that no one would give me the virus while on the boat, the same way I did in Cocos & Socorro.

This is controversial. Most now feel that this is more likely residual symptoms of the original illness. It is not too unusual for covid symptoms to wax and wane for some time post infection. Retesting after infection is no longer recommended for at least 90 days since an individual can continue to test positive for weeks to months after infection. And may even test positive after a negative test.

Might not be recommended, but some employers are looking for a negative test to return to work before 90 days.

Yes. Not required to provide a negative covid test for reentry to the US.

From the CDC...

“If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get tested no more than 3 days before you travel by air into the United States (US) and show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight, or be prepared to show documentation of recovery (proof of a recent positive viral test and a letter from your healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).”

Here is the link:

COVID-19 and Your Health

This is huge and welcomed news. This will help curtail the spread and discourage some leisure travel.

Had this order been in place when I went to Mexico in December, I would not have gone.

Might not be recommended, but some employers are looking for a negative test to return to work before 90 days.
You are right but at least in our area most employers have changed their requirements to better follow current guidelines.

The first employee at our office to test positive at the start of the pandemic missed almost a month. The owners required her and her family to test negative. Her family cleared quickly but it took her 3 tries to test negative.

You are right but at least in our area most employers have changed their requirements to better follow current guidelines.

The first employee at our office to test positive at the start of the pandemic missed almost a month. The owners required her and her family to test negative. Her family cleared quickly but it took her 3 tries to test negative.

There are still a lot of unknowns about this virus, but if you are testing positive even with no symptoms you are shedding virus particles and probably are capable of transmitting to others.

Ok well every single time I turn on the tv or radio, the only statistic that I see being focused on is the death rate. I don’t see or hear anybody tracking the “ I don’t feel well for three weeks” rate. Don’t know how to articulate that any other way.
Radio and TV have neither the time nor the inclination to report anything other than superficialities. But you don't have to dig very far. Here are some examples, collected in about 20 minutes:

Patients, clinicians seek answers to the mystery of 'Long COVID'

In a recent study posted on the preprint server medRxiv, analysis of an international survey of more than 3,700 respondents with COVID-19 found that over two-thirds were still experiencing numerous symptoms at 6 months, with significant impacts on patients' lives and livelihoods. Respondents with symptoms for more than 6 months said they are experiencing an average of nearly 14 symptoms across multiple organ systems.

That study has not yet been peer-reviewed, but it adds to a growing body of literature on prolonged COVID-19 symptoms. An Italian study published in JAMA in July found that 87% of 143 hospitalized COVID-19 patients had at least one symptom 2 months after illness onset. A study published this month in The Lancet found that more than three quarters of 1,655 hospitalized COVID-19 patients in Wuhan, China, had at least one symptom 6 months after discharge.

Long haulers: Why some people experience long-term coronavirus symptoms

Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms can last weeks or months for some people. These patients, given the name "long haulers", have in theory recovered from the worst impacts of COVID-19 and have tested negative. However, they still have symptoms. There seems to be no consistent reason for this to happen.

Researchers estimate about 10% of COVID-19 patients become long haulers, according to a recent article from The Journal of the American Medical Association and a study done by British scientists. That’s in line with what UC Davis Health is seeing.

This condition can effect anyone – old and young, otherwise healthy people and those battling other conditions. It has been seen in those who were hospitalized with COVID-19 and patients with very mild symptoms.

What are the long-lasting effects of COVID-19? - Harvard Health

There also are people who survived COVID and have no evidence of injury to the heart, kidneys, or brain — but who nevertheless have not returned to full health. They still have fatigue, body aches, shortness of breath, difficulty concentrating, inability to exercise, headache, and trouble sleeping. Some studies find that more than 50% of people who "recovered" from COVID remain hobbled by these symptoms three months later. They can't return to work. They can't fulfill their responsibilities at home. They are being called "long haulers." Such lingering symptoms have been reported following "recovery" from a number of other infectious illnesses, including mononucleosis, Lyme disease, and SARS (another disease caused by a coronavirus). So, it is not surprising that this illness — which is similar to the illness called myalgic encephalomyelitis / chronic fatigue syndrome — develops following COVID.

If you've been exposed to the coronavirus - Harvard Health.

Most people with mild cases appear to recover within one to two weeks. However, recent surveys conducted by the CDC found that recovery may take longer than previously thought, even for adults with milder cases who do not require hospitalization. The CDC survey found that one-third of these adults had not returned to normal health within two to three weeks of testing positive for COVID-19. Among younger adults (ages 18 to 34) who did not require hospitalization and who did not have any underlying health conditions, nearly one in five had not returned to normal health within two to three weeks after testing positive for COVID-19. With severe cases, recovery can take six weeks or more.

Some people may experience longer-term physical, cognitive, and psychological problems. Their symptoms may alternately improve and worsen over time, and can include a variety of difficulties, from fatigue and trouble concentrating to anxiety, muscle weakness, and continuing shortness of breath.

From ‘brain fog’ to heart damage, COVID-19’s lingering problems alarm scientists

The list of lingering maladies from COVID-19 is longer and more varied than most doctors could have imagined. Ongoing problems include fatigue, a racing heartbeat, shortness of breath, achy joints, foggy thinking, a persistent loss of sense of smell, and damage to the heart, lungs, kidneys, and brain.

The likelihood of a patient developing persistent symptoms is hard to pin down because different studies track different outcomes and follow survivors for different lengths of time. One group in Italy found that 87% of a patient cohort hospitalized for acute COVID-19 was still struggling 2 months later. Data from the COVID Symptom Study, which uses an app into which millions of people in the United States, United Kingdom, and Sweden have tapped their symptoms, suggest 10% to 15% of people—including some “mild” cases—don’t quickly recover. But with the crisis just months old, no one knows how far into the future symptoms will endure, and whether COVID-19 will prompt the onset of chronic diseases.

A paper this week in JAMA Cardiology found that 78 of 100 people diagnosed with COVID-19 had cardiac abnormalities when their heart was imaged on average 10 weeks later, most often inflammation in heart muscle. Many of the participants in that study were previously healthy, and some even caught the virus while on ski trips, according to the authors.

There are still a lot of unknowns about this virus, but if you are testing positive even with no symptoms you are shedding virus particles and probably are be capable of transmitting to others.
I have posted it elsewhere and don’t have the numbers in front of me (I will look tomorrow if you are interested) but there have been studies and it seems that these individuals are indeed shedding viral particles and not viable viruses capable of replicating, so not infectious.

I have posted it elsewhere and don’t have the numbers in front of me (I will look tomorrow if you are interested) but there have been studies and it seems that these individuals are indeed shedding viral particles and not viable viruses capable of replicating, so not infectious.
Yes I would be interested if you can find it. I get an overwhelming amount of stuff from my employer, the county and state health departments, professional organizations and CDC. I try to keep up but frequently fall behind in my reading and skip some of them.

CDC says:
It’s possible for people to spread the virus for about 2 days before experiencing signs or symptoms and remain contagious for at least 10 days after signs or symptoms first appeared. If someone is asymptomatic or their symptoms go away, it’s possible to remain contagious for at least 10 days after testing positive for COVID-19.

CDC says:
It’s possible for people to spread the virus for about 2 days before experiencing signs or symptoms and remain contagious for at least 10 days after signs or symptoms first appeared. If someone is asymptomatic or their symptoms go away, it’s possible to remain contagious for at least 10 days after testing positive for COVID-19.
That is right. Symptomatic covid patients count 10 days from symptom onset, no fever for 24 hours without a fever reducer and overall symptoms improved. For persons testing positive without symptoms its 10 days from the test date since there is no way to know when they became infectious.

This is not the recommendation for persons with severe illness or weakened immune systems. They may need longer isolation, possibly up to 20 days after symptom onset.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom