Is it possible to travel responsibly (during a pandemic)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know people catching covid in Socorro. I also have direct experience 3 people testing positive at home right after Maldives LoB. My sister just returned from Galapagos and 2 people in their group got covid on this trip right after coming home. My personal statistics are much more gloomy looking than yours.
I must be very lucky then (knocking wood). Testing positive at home is definitely not as bad as testing positive while abroad.

Obviously current travel is still a complex decision and certainly personal financial responsibility plays a role as well as health concerns.

I don’t trust travel insurance (nor any particular insurance) since their primary goal is to maximize profits. Sure a good reputation and customer service would seem to be part of that equation but sadly that is becoming a neglected part of today’s businesses. But I digress.

I travel responsibly by…

1) Choosing locales where I can manage staying an extra week or so without its breaking the bank and with options to change plans without penalty as much as possible.

2) Making myself as immune to covid as possible. I had the original series January 2020 than a breakthrough infection in July making me what some call “super immune.” I recently had routine blood work so out of curiosity checked my antibody levels. IgG was >800 (positive is >13) but for up coming travel I got the booster anyway.

@Dan It's just because Covid can't find you. Everytime it hears where you are and comes there, you're gone to the next place. :) It got in some good diving though
I know that I’m pushing my luck. One of these days I’ll eventually get it. I have been vaccinated 3x, the latest booster shot was 3 months ago. I have 3 more days for the 3rd PCR test before being allowed to freely roaming the country (Thailand). In the meantime, as part of “travel responsibly during the pandemic” I stay away from the crowded places, especially the bar scene during “Happy Hours” 2-for-price of 1 cocktails & eating at outside table if available.

The virus may be around me, but the viral load where I am being exposed to may be low enough that my immune system is able to keep them at bay. I try to keep myself in shape by exercising routinely too.

It depends on your personal risk threshold, of course. I've traveled internationally to Bonaire, St. Thomas/St. John, Turks and Caicos (liveaboard), Roatan, and Curacao during the pandemic. Technically Colombia too, but they kicked us all out the day we arrived because the mayor was shutting down Bogota (March 2020). Carry insurance, have fun, and be ready if you test positive to deal with the "rules" in place. But most of all....have fun! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom