Is it possible to travel responsibly (during a pandemic)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Putting aside the whole argument about responsible travel, this measure is long overdue. Pleading with folks to act responsibly and to defer non essential travel was not working.

100% agree. the sad part is that we should have had impossibly tough restrictions put in place a year ago, then gradually reduce those restrictions as our knowledge of the situation improved, more testing became avail, vaccines were developed etc etc. things should have gotten better for everyone over time. instead, now we are taking leaps backwards.

100% agree. the sad part is that we should have had impossibly tough restrictions put in place a year ago, then gradually reduce those restrictions as our knowledge of the situation improved, more testing became avail, vaccines were developed etc etc. things should have gotten better for everyone over time. instead, now we are taking leaps backwards.

It remains a mystery why the government did not drop the hammer much sooner. But I somehow suspect that if we had acted sooner, then eased up, that we would have still got hit with the variants. At least we are getting a bit closer to the spring....

It remains a mystery why the government did drop the hammer much sooner. But I somehow suspect that if we had acted sooner, then eased up, that we would have still got hit with the variants. At least we are getting a bit closer to the spring....

the variants were always inevitable no matter what we do.

Although my time is my time, my workplace has put out the recommendation that nonessential travel, especially international travel, is highly discouraged, and that employee health be notified ahead of time if such travel would be taking place.

I’m guessing that if return to work is delayed over allowable scheduled time off (quarantine on either end, unexpected illness, passport snafu) that some sort of action will be taken, and not necessarily a warm and fuzzy one.

Although my time is my time, my workplace has put out the recommendation that nonessential travel, especially international travel, is highly discouraged, and that employee health be notified ahead of time if such travel would be taking place.

I’m guessing that if return to work is delayed over allowable scheduled time off (quarantine on either end, unexpected illness, passport snafu) that some sort of action will be taken, and not necessarily a warm and fuzzy one.

It seems reasonable that the employer would not be keen to cover an absence that occurs due to a known risk. I guess labor law would kick in at some point in terms of whether recommendation against travel is binding.

A number of places in the U.S. have 'at will' employment; aside from specifically prohibited reasons such as race, management can terminate your employment pretty much because they want to. It's my understanding the situation is much different in some European countries.

On an informal but important note, if you have a position where staffing is tight and you are needed and hard to replace, doing something management deems reckless and selfish, then announcing that due to the consequences of your bad (in their opinion) choice you'll be chilling at home using sick time to get paid for nothing while they struggle to keep things functioning, well, somebody higher up the chain might just take a dislike to you.

If your concept of responsibility traveling includes job security and politics, that might be something to factor in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom