is it worth buying my own cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're worried about the cost of buying a single tank, don't even think about going into technical diving... lol

ha ha only cause im not working @ the moment .. still studying ... when im working then ill get gear for tech

hmmm it would be around $70 for all the tests , see wats really pushing me is that the cylinder i wanna but is going at 30% cheaper than anywere else ... on special

Batman, Sounds like you might be buying from Divetek. I would look @ buying a tank if you do more than 50 dive a year. Dave also do visual & hydro testing. I believe he is cheaper that the mentioned $70.

Financially it almost never makes sense to buy a cylinder in South Africa. It costs me 70 ZAR ($10) to rent a full 12l cylinder, and 50 ZAR ($7) for an air fill. So the saving is only 20 ZAR. You have to do a LOT of diving for that R20 saving to add up enough to even cover the cost of visual and hydro inspections.

Where it does make a lot of sense though: I have yet to encounter a dive operation in South Africa that will rent you a cylinder if you don't go on their guided dives or charters, so it ends up costing a fortune.
I prefer diving independently, I hate following a dive master. So for that reason alone I bought a couple of cylinders. Search the classifieds, you can pick up in visual, in hydro aluminum cylinders for about R750

Jagter, I agree on the renting option in South Africa unless you dive a lot (100 dives per year or more). I would be very careful around buying second hand or new ALI's. The reason is that a lot of America (imperial) Luxfers doing the rounds. These tanks take a 3/4 tread on the valve. The standard for South Africa (europe) is M25. Some tanks have had valve replacements, where the owner unknowingly fits a M25 tread valve to the 3/4 tanks with disastrous (explosive) results (4 in the last couple of months).

M25 valves will screw into a 3/4 tread, but not the other way around. The contact/surface is reduced by around 80% and any level of pressure is likely to cause a valve coming off at speed!!!!!! If you go this route make sure the valve is the correct tread for the tank!!!!!

The reason is that a lot of America (imperial) Luxfers doing the rounds. These tanks take a 3/4 tread on the valve. The standard for South Africa (europe) is M25. Some tanks have had valve replacements, where the owner unknowingly fits a M25 tread valve to the 3/4 tanks with disastrous (explosive) results (4 in the last couple of months).

M25 valves will screw into a 3/4 tread, but not the other way around. The contact/surface is reduced by around 80% and any level of pressure is likely to cause a valve coming off at speed!!!!!! If you go this route make sure the valve is the correct tread for the tank!!!!!

:shocked2: You just scared me into checking my cylinders, as one of the selling points when I bought them was the brand new valves they came with. The cylinders have M25x2-ISO stamped onto them and the valves also have M25x2 engraved on them. Phew!

Glad it's ok. I did check the alloy before I bought. The guy I bought it from found the whole lot on an auction from a bankrupt dive shop, and at least half the cylinders were made from the dodgy 6351 alloy.

Last edited:
Good to hear. What's the diving like in Plett, have never dived there?

Good to hear. What's the diving like in Plett, have never dived there?

The diving is great if the conditions are good, and living here and working from home I can go diving on the days offering the best conditions. (maybe 3 days a month) Lots of soft corrals, rays, sharks, dolphins and seals. And even a nice wreck, a 850 ton trawler. The one thing I like is that there are 3 reefs and some pinacles reachable from a shore entry, so I don't have to shell out too much cash for boat dives. (Plus I get seasick on boats)

As a dive destination it doesn't offer much, as odds are the conditions will be borderline or undiveable. You have to spend a lot of time here to get the right conditions.

Back
Top Bottom