is it worth buying my own cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

batman diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i just got some money in , i wanna buy a cylinder , but i dunno if its worth it ...
any advice ? i eventually wanna do doubles and technical ... but thats still a way off

Depends on your circumstances ie how much diving you do?, will it cost you to fill them?...In my case I get the air free(locally) & the 10 bucks (or whatever it is to VIS them yearly plus) is worth it....Plus I live 55 miles north of the nearest dive shop & I do most of my diving north of me ie 100 miles from the dive shop---- so renting them would be a major PITA.....

it costs r25 so hmmmm 3$ for a fill , and then fills are included in my dives ... i dive with my school and iv been renting a cylinder at 10$ a day ... to buy is gonna be $700 and inspections are $10 a year

it costs r25 so hmmmm 3$ for a fill , and then fills are included in my dives ... i dive with my school and iv been renting a cylinder at 10$ a day ... to buy is gonna be $700 and inspections are $10 a year

If you're gunna make 50 dives a year, that's 500 bucks for rentals a year------in less than 2 years you'll pay for the tank.....

It sounds like complicated before we get into current exchange!

For most actrive divers the numbers makes sense with not too many dives if you are will ing to allow a few years to "pay it off". The biggest bling is knowing that you can go dive without diversions to the shop.

Since you dive with the shop the logistics seem to be a wash. $700. to buy? I guess I'm stuck there.

Spectrum, $700, I didn't even get into that with him-----that's VERY high, I'd look around(here no less) for a better price....hell, a used Al 80 for well under a $100 would serve him well to begin with.....

sorry all this converting has messed up the numbers its r2300.00 so thats like $340 12l steel faber , brand new

@batman_diver: Well, an aluminum tank should be substantially cheaper (1/3 the price, brand new) of the steel tank. Might not be a bad way to go for your first tank.

FWIW, I don't think I'd ever buy a brand new steel tank in my locale. I've been able to purchase my last two HP steel tanks (HP100, HP120) used for $75 and $50, respectively.

ok but now im worried i buy second hand and its rusted inside etc ...wat u think

ok but now im worried i buy second hand and its rusted inside etc ...wat u think
Simple solution: Look inside the tank before you buy it. Any reasonable person would do this before purchasing a used tank.
If there is some rust inside, it might not be the end of the world. It just might require a tumbling.

Figure the cost of any potential tumbling, hydrotesting, and visual inspections into the purchase price of the used tank.

Back
Top Bottom