Is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

S

Scuba Diver 03

Is it worth it to buy a tank? I rent mine. there farely cheap to rent and you don't have to maitaine them. I dive one tank. How big of tank do you thingk is the best?:confused:

there is no "right" or "wrong" answer either. Different tanks for different situations. I use two first stages, so renting doesn't work for me very well. I need a double tank, or an H at the very least. For most OW divers, the tank should be the LAST thing you buy. AL80s don't cost much more to rent than to fill and you don't have to pay for the yearly vis or for a hyro every 5 years.

I'm going to get my BCD and Regulator first. I was just wondering if its worth it to rent or not.:wink:

Dive some more before you start plunking down lots of jack for gear that you may not use.

1) Make sure that diving is for you!

2) Try out as many regs/BCs that you can.

3) See what direction your diving is going towards. That is... don't buy the wrong gear from the start.

4) Expect to spend more than what you are hoping... but your BC first and rent the reg until you can spend enough for it. There is no race to buy equipment.

gear doesn't make the diver, but a wise diver chooses his/her gear well. Spend as much money on training as you do on gear to make sure you are a well rounded diver!

After my OW class I had enough of rental gear. One of the best thind a new diver can do to get some sonsistancy in their performance is to have their own suit and BC. It's really hard to be any good if your weighting and balance requirements change on every dive.

I own a 2pc 3mil for the warmer months and rent a 7mil the rest of the season.

A good dive shop will give you the same gear everytime if you want so that you don't have to keep messing with your weighting.

chrpai once bubbled...

A good dive shop will give you the same gear everytime if you want so that you don't have to keep messing with your weighting.

Unless some one else gets it first, or it's been sold or tossed (rental stuff doesn't last that long) or you're traveling and getting gear from different places.

now am considering getting tanks again - primarily due to lack of rental H-valves.

The tank was the last thing I bought. I hate the Al80 in cold water, but that's often the only tanks that boats offer here. Also, there are plenty of places where steels are just not available to rent, especially if you want a bigger tank.

The other argument for getting your own tank is weight and buoyancy. Unless I'm traveling, I always dive with the same equipment, so there's no need for a weight check each time I get in the water. If you dive often and locally, at some point, you'll want to get your own tank. Just don't rush it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom