Is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The good thing about owning your own gear is that you can dive anytime on short notice. You may eventually buy more than 1 tank so you can do more than 1 dive per outing, or so you don't have to run to the shop for a fill after each dive. Good luck!

Matt

whataconcept!!!!!!!!!!! I think I am up to 16 tanks now. Now if those E8-143s ever become available!!!

We have 3 divers in the family and 18 steel tanks. I like the weight charactoristics of steel tanks and have never been a fan of the aluminum 80, and the pair that I owned were quickly sold. The only aluminum tanks I currently own are a pair of "pony" bottles used for deco. It's enough to get us through a weekend
without haivng to fill tanks and it is about all that tanks that will fit on the boat. :)

We are pretty lucky here in that hydro's and VIP's are cheap. Some places they are not and it gets much worse if you have to ship your tanks to the test facility. That is something to consider in the tank ownership equation.

Another factor is the price of air. We have an air club owned compressor and cascade system housed at the LDS. It is 24 hour self serve with all the air you can use for $50.00 per year for a family memebrship and $30 for a single. So given approx 250 fills per year total for our family, the price of air is about 20 cents per tank. (Obviously, most of the divers in the club do not dive as much as we do.)

If either of these circumstances were different, I'd own a compressor and a lot fewer tanks.

NetDoc once bubbled...
whataconcept!!!!!!!!!!! I think I am up to 16 tanks now. Now if those E8-143s ever become available!!!

As of last week PST said the E8-149 would not be made this year, and they weren't sure if it would be made available next year either!!

Bummer :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom