Is it worth practising OOA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a big difference between closing a valve on the surface (or shallow water) and running out of air at depth. Standard instruction requires us to turn diver's air off in the pool so they can get the sense of what it is like, but it isn't even close.

I can understand what you are saying but, what about "almost" closing the valve about 99% so only a trickle of air can come through. I realize that pressure will re-build in the hose between breaths but this ought to give a vastly better "feel" than closing it completely.

As for the other suggestions in this thread, the best way I have read is to carry an entirely separate rig such as a pony bottle for the test to get the most realistic simulation.

One of the blessings of being an active divemaster is I constantly go over the skills with the students and with each new class your that much more proficient!

Yes. It's too bad all new OW divers don't constantly review the skills. I have to admit I was one who did not. Now I wonder how I could do a lot of diving back then without reviewing them.

I can understand what you are saying but, what about "almost" closing the valve about 99% so only a trickle of air can come through. I realize that pressure will re-build in the hose between breaths but this ought to give a vastly better "feel" than closing it completely.
Funny you should mention that.

That does work pretty well, and that is indeed what I do in the pool situation. I hold the student's SPG and watch it as I close down the valve. I then carefully play with it until I see the needle bouncing. It works pretty well, much better than shutting off the air completely.

I have advocated that practice in the Instructor to Instructor forum several times in the past, but I didn't see the point in mentioning it here. You must be very, very wise to think of such a thing.:D

Funny you should mention that.

That does work pretty well, and that is indeed what I do in the pool situation. I hold the student's SPG and watch it as I close down the valve. I then carefully play with it until I see the needle bouncing. It works pretty well, much better than shutting off the air completely.

I have advocated that practice in the Instructor to Instructor forum several times in the past, but I didn't see the point in mentioning it here. You must be very, very wise to think of such a thing.:D

Thanks for the complement but I am not especially wise, just work in process engineering so flow restriction and pressure drop is something I deal with almost daily.

If you plan your dive and dive your plan, and monitor your gas, you will never "run out of gas" underwater. You may have a freeflow which will empty your tank -- in which case, you have a minute or so to establish an air-share, and you shouldn't even be on your own regulator when the tank runs dry. If you tip down to look at something and occlude a dip tube, you will suddenly have the gas supply cut off, and you know what that feels like, because you did it in your OW class.

I do not think there is any value in breathing a tank down until you run out of gas. It adds risk to the air-sharing drill, and as I said, YOU will never be out of gas in that fashion, if you dive responsibly (and you do -- we know you).

I think you mean pressure measuring device.

By the way::rofl3:

I saw a device on the highway that showed me how fast I was going, and thought "Wouldn't it be a great idea if they put one of those right in the car so you would always know?"

in singapore, they have that in the blue taxis. if the taxi goes a certain speed limit, it sounds off inside the blue taxi so you know the guy is putting you at risk by going over the speed limit for blue taxi.

[/h]
yes, with CESA

A very effective drill we did in my OW course was when the instructors had our training buddies line across the edge of the pool and submerge underwater. The rest of us were about half the width of the pool away from them (everyone in about 3.5ft of water) we submerged and they shut our air off. We knew what was coming but the people on the other side did not. Furthermore, they were facing the wall. Made it to my buddy, he turned around but I just couldn't hold my breath any longer and had to stand up. Only about 1 or 2 people actually made it, signaled no air and got the Octo from their buddy. It made a ooa experience very real. After that training I txt my friend who I will be diving with telling her I'm never letting her more than an arms length away or so when we go diving. Also I seem to check my spg every 5 min. Haha! That situation scared the ba-gesus out of everyone in the class, very effective.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

1. When you let the tank run out, you risk corrosion in the tank, leading to breathing rust, which is a bad thing.
2. When you let the tank run out, it should be visually inspected. This leads to more work for, and annoyance of, the DM. DO NOT ANNOY THE DM.
2. Confined Water Dive 2 is the first time the student is given an OOA experience. The idea being to NEVER, EVER let that happen. (Remember the rule of thirds?)

That being said, I once ran out of air... but I was with another DMC and we expected it to happen, it wasn't a matter of "if", it was just a matter of "when". Even then, I didn't wait until it was completely depleted, at the first sign of labored breathing I was on my buddy's octo. Of course, this was a training dive in about 15 feet of water with someone whose skills I trust and would (did) trust with my life. Also, I have an excellent sense of presence and calm and I know that I do not panic in high-stress situations. I do not recommend anyone doing this. (Putting it even stronger... any instructor who would let a student suck a tank dry should be penalized!!!) Ours was a situation of calculated risk in which we both knew the situation and possible risks involved.

Why not ask your friends to waterboard you so you can practice drowning?
I don't see any value in this.
Training for the correct drills for an OOA situation, yes, but intentionally going OOA just to see what it's like?
No, I don't think so.

Why not ask your friends to waterboard you so you can practice drowning?
I don't see any value in this.
Training for the correct drills for an OOA situation, yes, but intentionally going OOA just to see what it's like?
No, I don't think so.

There is some merit in the notion that familiarity dispels panic. One of the biggest factors that degrades from diver reaction in an OOA situation is undoubtedly their psychological response and control.

That said, the logic of taking risk, to reduce risk is also flawed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom