Is it worth trying to dive Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam in June-July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

habarisc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm a teacher so I can only travel June- early August. Is SE Asia good diving in these months?

yeah I am asking the same question,

I want to 3 moths diving between, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, phillipines and Indonesia

from early june to end august.

Is this a reasonable idea, or will, typhoons and monsoon make it not so pleasurable????

I dived Cambodia and Vietnam in April and July and have dived Thailand Indonesia and March in march, october, august, june, january - I too am governed by semesters. So it may not be highly recommended season but if you want to get wet and have some fun, why not give it a go.

Cambodian monsoon season provided some nice relief from the heat, diving the islands from Snooky didnt notice much muddying of the waters from the Mekong.

There is always somewhere good to dive at any time of the year in SE Asia. It is the coral triangle after all, so the richest marine life on earth.

First off I would say Thailand is a good place to start. But if diving is your priority then you would be better off going south to Malaysia and Indonesia than you would to Cambodia and Vietnam. Those 2 countries are places where yeah you can dive if you are there. But Malaysia and Indonesia have some of the most interesting and exciting diving on earth. Proper dive destinations.

June to August is low season for the Andaman Sea so Thailand's Similan islands are out. You could do some dives from Koh Samui or Koh Tao to settle in. Then get yourself down to somewhere awesome like Sipadan in Malaysia or Bali, North Sulawesi, Komodo or Raja Ampat in Indonesia. That's some real diving: tonnes of fish, manta rays, sharks, mola mola, big stuff, small stuff colourful reefs etc. Or just give Thailand the body swerve and concentrate on Malaysia and Indonesia (you can fly Kota Kinabalu to Bali direct now).

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need more.

June to early Aug is the best time to dive Vietnam and Nha Trang is the best place in the country

Diving in Thailand varies in June/July time depending on location due to monsoon seasons - which are very regionalised. The west coast locations (Phi Phi, Koh Lanta, Similans etc) have their monsoon around that time, and many operators are even closed. The East coast gulf destinations of Samui, Phangan and Koh Tao will have better weather, but can still get kick backs of rain and wind throughout that time, so its a bit unpredictable.

Philippines Anilao and other places are year round diving. I spent some time there in May this year and am returning to PI next week for holiday dives. BUT I will be in Krabi Thailand in March for training at Poseidon if all goes well. :)

The west coast locations (Phi Phi, Koh Lanta, Similans etc) have their monsoon around that time, and many operators are even closed.

Very few operators on the west coast would be closed at this time. Phi Phi operates as normal and for the most part so does Lanta. Hin Daeng/Hin Muang, as is the case with the Similans, are off limits tho' due to the long voyages in open seas. For the rest, the dive sites are very short trips with protection, and are still easily accessible at this time of year. Phuket dive operations will still be up and running at this time too...

need advice please..
-whats the best overall place to dive between thailand & cambodia (gulf of thailand only, not andaman sea) for about 3 days/10 dives?
-im relatively experienced (~100 dives, nitrox) and want to see more than just reefs.. any big animals? walls? caverns?
-how are the prices generally (ex. per 2-tank trip) ?
thanks for the tips!

---------- Post added February 23rd, 2014 at 11:13 PM ----------

what are some unique dive sites in krabi plz?

Back
Top Bottom