Is my computer / watch at risk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sometimes go to the trouble of putting them on a velcro band that use both pins, so one failure means the watch gets loose but is not gone.

i bought a velcro strap to replace the oem strap on my aeris elite t3, and now oceanic veo 3.0, and never thought of it that way. indeed, if one pin fails, the other pin would still hold the watch.

My watch, when I wear it, just uses the stock rubber strap (its a dive watch, has the typical rubber strap)

My old computer had a rubber strap, but it was about to fall apart, so I pulled the strap's pins out, removed the band, put some thin bungee under the pins and made my own wrist bungee straps. My main computer has two elastic w/clip straps which I want to change out to bungee's soon.

I once got moisture in a fairly expensive (for me) dive watch. The watch repairman who rebuilt it for me said "this watch is too nice to risk diving with, why not buy a timex for that". Yep, $35.

Better safe than sorry. The rubber strap on my $1200 wrist mount computer failed without notice once; fortunately I was able to go back and find it. I eventually got the strap replaced, but now I also have the computer tied off with an additional thin bungee around my wrist to help guard against losing it again.

I has the buckle on my aeris come apart once, thankfully while still on the boat. It went back together fine and lasted several years. This year I finally got the DSS bungee mount for it to facilitate dry suit use.

I don't put anything on my wrists, or ankles for that matter. If you put it on, you have to take it off and sometimes you can forget to take it with you when you leave the boat or shore...So, I cut a piece of 2" thin-wall (schedule 20) PVC pipe, drilled a hole in each end and covered it with some neoprene. I strap the Backup Compass, depth gauge, bottom timer and Dive Computer around the pipe until it compresses the neoprene and clip the pressure gauge on the left side. I sling this across my chest with surgical tubing and a suicide clip to the "D" ring. I can see all the "machinery" in any position and when I exit the water, it is just a matter un-clipping the right side and removing the harness. Everything is all in one place. I run a bungee though all the straps and tie it off through the PVC pipe. The pipe provides a great place to keep your gloves and snorkel inside and a knife strapped to the outside. When I pack or store it, with all the gear still attached, I put it in a padded bag.

The COMEX underwater construction divers have been using Rolex Seadwellers with the steel bracelets for years without worries.

In the beginning, I used the NATO Nitrox straps for my watches but then it's a pain in the ass to switch them around (nylon straps get stinky really bad with sweat), so now I'm back to the factory stainless steel bracelets.

I don't put anything on my wrists, or ankles for that matter. If you put it on, you have to take it off and sometimes you can forget to take it with you when you leave the boat or shore...So, I cut a piece of 2" thin-wall (schedule 20) PVC pipe, drilled a hole in each end and covered it with some neoprene. I strap the Backup Compass, depth gauge, bottom timer and Dive Computer around the pipe until it compresses the neoprene and clip the pressure gauge on the left side. I sling this across my chest with surgical tubing and a suicide clip to the "D" ring. I can see all the "machinery" in any position and when I exit the water, it is just a matter un-clipping the right side and removing the harness. Everything is all in one place. I run a bungee though all the straps and tie it off through the PVC pipe. The pipe provides a great place to keep your gloves and snorkel inside and a knife strapped to the outside. When I pack or store it, with all the gear still attached, I put it in a padded bag.

Got pictures?

I am bad at envisioning descriptions

Originally Posted by OkByMe I don't put anything on my wrists, or ankles for that matter. If you put it on, you have to take it off and sometimes you can forget to take it with you when you leave the boat or shore...So, I cut a piece of 2" thin-wall (schedule 20) PVC pipe, drilled a hole in each end and covered it with some neoprene. I strap the Backup Compass, depth gauge, bottom timer and Dive Computer around the pipe until it compresses the neoprene and clip the pressure gauge on the left side. I sling this across my chest with surgical tubing and a suicide clip to the "D" ring. I can see all the "machinery" in any position and when I exit the water, it is just a matter un-clipping the right side and removing the harness. Everything is all in one place. I run a bungee though all the straps and tie it off through the PVC pipe. The pipe provides a great place to keep your gloves and snorkel inside and a knife strapped to the outside. When I pack or store it, with all the gear still attached, I put it in a padded bag.

Got pictures?

I am bad at envisioning descriptions

IMG_20130801_214351_560[1].jpg

IMG_20130801_214408_428[1].jpg

IMG_20130801_214432_892[1].jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom