Is padi rescue diver really worth taking,

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It doesnt just teach you to rescue someone, it also makes you more aware of sitiuations that may become problematic. It makes sure that you notice if something is off. I find myself checking my tank pressure much more and I always check my buddy's as well.

marcbeaudry:
I certainly hope not to offend anyone who feels this thread is tool old and 'done' ,
that said ....lots of comments here on the physical demands of the rescue course ,
can anyone elaborate ? i just got back from paying for the course , i'll be taking it in 3 weeks, should i be 'upping' the cardio (as in start doing some ?:wink: training ?

My instructor is NAUI. We swam 400 yards with no gear then 800 yards with snorkel fins and mask. (no time limit) Then we did several hours of search patterns over two days. "Cant save em if ya cant find em" The third day we actually started rescue. We had to "rescue" an unconscious diver at 15 feet limited visibility 50 yards from shore with snorkel gear....which was the hardest drill for me. We did a bunch of scenarios that were repetitive. I was thankful when we got to do the scenarios with a scuba tank. I run two or three times a week....but I just don't swim for exercise very much. I'm 45 years old so my baseline level of physical fitness is a little different than my 18 year old's. By the way, we did the panicked swimmer rescue with each other. That part was exhausting as well.

From what I understand, many of these drills get timed in dive master training.

Not worth it.

I also hope you were talking about the physical side of the class. I found it to be one of the better classes I've taken, other than my cave classes, for adding additional skills. I was surprised at how strenuous the open water portion was. We had to find and surface with an unresponsive diver and then swim them to shore while attempting rescue breathing. The day we did our open water, it decided to snow about 3" so that added to the entertainment. It gave me a much better perspective on what effort is needed to truley help in a rescue situation. I would recommend it to anyone with the right instructor.

I took it and it was one of the best classes I ever took. I had to use some of the rescue skills that were taught to me during the years

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom