Is padi rescue diver really worth taking,

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My son (16) and I (60) are dive buddies going on 4 years now. We both have AOW from NAUI and PADI and NAUI NITROX. NAUI Rescue diver will be our next course. We are pretty good buddies although he's getting stronger than me now! To me it's the next logical step...

People complain when people don't search.
People complain when people do search then revive an old thread.

that pretty much says it all!

If you put someting into it with a good instructor, yes . . .

the K

I took rescue this month with my 18-year-old-son. I am glad we did it, but wasn't quite expecting the amount of swimming we did without gear....or more specifically without air. For me, going down 15 feet to bring up an unconscious victim was tough. It felt like I was down like 2 minutes...would break the surface of the water with the victim in tow to suck in half of the atmosphere after about 20 seconds .:crazyeye: When we finally got to this drill with an air tank on, it was a piece of cake. I never have been able to equalize well going down head first, so I wound up with a nice ear ache too. You freedivers have all of my respect!

It was a great class loaded with tons of safety tidbits and some well designed drills.

I certainly hope not to offend anyone who feels this thread is tool old and 'done' ,
that said ....lots of comments here on the physical demands of the rescue course ,
can anyone elaborate ? i just got back from paying for the course , i'll be taking it in 3 weeks, should i be 'upping' the cardio (as in start doing some ?:wink: training ?

I certainly hope not to offend anyone who feels this thread is tool old and 'done' ,
that said ....lots of comments here on the physical demands of the rescue course ,
can anyone elaborate ? i just got back from paying for the course , i'll be taking it in 3 weeks, should i be 'upping' the cardio (as in start doing some ?:wink: training ?

I will say that my rescue class was one of the more physically demanding classes I have taken other than my cave classes. My instructor had us doing a lot of swimming, with and without other victims, with and without gear on. I am a lot smaller now than I was when I took my rescue class, but can't exactly say I was "out of shape" during that class. I would highly recommend more cardio and being in shape period for diving, it keeps you safer in and out of the water. That being said, most of my regular dive buddies past and present aren't really in the best cardio shape and every one of them has had the same rescue class. The more in shape physically and mentally that you can be for this class, the more I believe you will get out of it and the more you will enjoy it!

Back
Top Bottom