Is safe second really needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now lets get back on topic.
We are looking for good answers for the original question.

DaleC: Has left the best reply with the strongest argument thus far, and actually persuaded me to clip an octo on for "public occasions".

Walter: Thanks, one can almost always count on you to play delves advocate and go agents the grain weather you personally agree with the topic or not. You have a rare ability to remove emotion and reasonably asses a situation and see the reality of it. (If my buddy and I wand to potentially kill our self's by diving in this manner by god let us so long as it dose not harm an innocent bystander. The law "rules" are suppose to protect one from another not protect me from myself.)

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned an underwater rescue situation where a diver is found unconscious due to O2 poisoning from being to deep for there nitrox mix. An octo would aid in this situation you could supply them with a constant appropriate gas mix on the way to the surface. To me this is a strong argument and it has been failed to be mentioned. But this goes back to diving with the public, and my buddy and I only use gas mixes when we are planing a Deco dive. Then we are dressed in at least 1/2 HOG attire and have an octo.

Skip from page 2

I would think that no one but a scuba god is immune from a co2 overload. Once your in over load mode your breathing pattern changes. so if your diving in a OW enviroment with other divers BESIDES your buddy ... meaning other divers are around... your better off having an octo because panicked divers can do strange things. If your only diving with your buddy .. I would hope your both on your A game because again Panic can and will make even a seasoned pro lose his/her mind.

Yes, very true panic can cause erratic breathing which can lead to co2 build up which can be compounded by being narked. After all A scuba god (David Shaw) did die from this a few years back.
As I said My buddy and I will start clipping on an octo when we dive around strangers. DaleC made a great argument for that.

pittyyofool:
If my buddy and I wand to potentially kill our self's by diving in this manner by god let us so long as it dose not harm an innocent bystander.

While I agree with the concept, I don't believe it applies in this situation. Buddy breathing is a tried and true method of bringing an OOA diver to the surface. It's very easy to do and quite effective. It's not my first choice, but it's a very close second. It works just as well as using an octo, it just not quite as easy.

pittyyofool:
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned an underwater rescue situation where a diver is found unconscious due to O2 poisoning from being to deep for there nitrox mix. An octo would aid in this situation you could supply them with a constant appropriate gas mix on the way to the surface.

I wouldn't mention that because I wouldn't put a regulator in the nouth of an unconscious diver. If the regulator is in place, I would hold it there as I brought the diver to the surface. If it was not in place, I would not replace it, I'd just bring the diver up.

tomboyy:
Skip from page 2

Page 2? I'm on page 1.

tomboyy:
If your only diving with your buddy .. I would hope your both on your A game because again Panic can and will make even a seasoned pro lose his/her mind.

There's no reason for a competent OOA diver to panic. Panic comes from fear. A competent diver is not afraid of being OOA because it's an extremely easy situation to manage.

I am not going to quote, invoke, or otherwise claim knowledge that is second hand. I dive vintage gear a lot, and so does my girlfriend. We both know how to buddy breathe. We are both comfortable with no octopus down to the recreational limits of 132 feet. I know that the OP was asking for comments in a unique way, but there are plenty of us who dive without octos. The vast majority of the National Association of Vintage Equipment Divers does it every time we demonstrate vintage gear.

I understand that not everyone is comfortable with diving a single second stage, and I respect that. I don't call people who dive with an octopus sissies, but there are plenty of people who snort at me and call me a "cowboy" or "dangerous". I think you perform at a level consistent with what you feel is safe.

I wouldn't mention that because I wouldn't put a regulator in the nouth of an unconscious diver. If the regulator is in place, I would hold it there as I brought the diver to the surface. If it was not in place, I would not replace it, I'd just bring the diver up.

If the diver's having a convulsion due to ox tox, I don't think bringing him up is a very good idea.

Now, I can't say I've had first-hand experience with a toxing diver ... but all the training I've had with respect to treating an ox tox hit says you get a reg into the diver's mouth and keep them at depth till the convulsion stops. Otherwise, you've got a closed larynx and a terminal case of Boyle's Law on your hands ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

There's no reason for a competent OOA diver to panic. Panic comes from fear. A competent diver is not afraid of being OOA because it's an extremely easy situation to manage.[/QUOTE]

Walter... your picking.... your statement makes sense In theory.. But problems, when they start piling on top of each other can make even a "competent" diver panic.

By your statement.. can I assume that you are a competent diver and will NEVER panic.

I have been with a couple of young (male) divers who have gone OOA and you wouldnt want to give them your reg. The change from 'I'm in charge of everything dude' to 'I am going to die' is a short jump for them and at that point your survival is VERY secondary to thiers.

With one of them I had to pull the octo out of their mouth as I was OOA myself and I had got him to within 5m of the surface from 30m.

If you only dive with your buddy and he is reliable in a crisis cant see why you would want to carry one but in my situation where I dont know who my next buddy will be, it is essential.

am surprised that nobody has mentioned an underwater rescue situation where a diver is found unconscious due to O2 poisoning from being to deep for there nitrox mix. An octo would aid in this situation you could supply them with a constant appropriate gas mix on the way to the surface.

I personally didn't mention it because I was taught in my Rescue Diver class that if the diver does not have a regulator in their mouth, not to put one in their mouth. The instructor specifically stated that this was a change from previous treatment. That being said, we were discussing finding an unconscious diver with an unknown malady.

I have separately been looking at the "ox tox" problem, and while I am not qualified to go on at length about treatment and rescue, the scenario I expect is one where a diver switches to a rich mix as part of deco and toxes. I expect that such a diver has a buddy who is trained to handle this problem on the spot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom