Is Scubapro Feeling A Pinch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is an official Revision B distributed at SP technician seminars.

unpopular opinion, scubapro is overrated and overpriced. though for that sale price might be worth it
my G250/ Mk25 and Nighthawk BCD are 19 years old with few issues (the BCD has faded to a dark brown). I have buddies with much newer gear running into issues. How good is there new stuff? I don’t know, I haven’t needed any of it yet…

my ... Mk25 and ... are 19 years old with few issues

Please let @rsingler know. He hates SP's MK25's :)

my G250/ Mk25 and Nighthawk BCD are 19 years old with few issues (the BCD has faded to a dark brown). I have buddies with much newer gear running into issues. How good is there new stuff? I don’t know, I haven’t needed any of it yet…

Some SP piston first stages have such tiny ambient holes they are difficult to flush. I like the Mark V and Mark 25 bodies that have the large vent holes making flushing easier. I updated my NIB Mark 20 with the service bulletin and added the Mark 25 conversion to it but it still has the tiny ambient vents. I need a more recent M25 barrel to alleviate that issue.

Please let @rsingler know. He hates SP's MK25's :)
The good news? it’s my gear…. I’m not the type to geek out over fractional differences in performance. If I were going to take it in caves or under ice, I may become more concerned about some of the specs, but I’m not going beyond 120’ or below 50F.

The good news? it’s my gear…. I’m not the type to geek out over fractional differences in performance. If I were going to take it in caves or under ice, I may become more concerned about some of the specs, but I’m not going beyond 120’ or below 50F.
I need to relocate, or stop diving locally... :rofl3:

Some SP piston first stages have such tiny ambient holes they are difficult to flush. I like the Mark V and Mark 25 bodies that have the large vent holes making flushing easier. I updated my NIB Mark 20 with the service bulletin and added the Mark 25 conversion to it but it still has the tiny ambient vents. I need a more recent M25 barrel to alleviate that issue.
I drilled out the ambient holes on two of my MK5’s to make them easier to rinse since I will never pack them with silicone.
One other MK5 is a generation behind the tiny hole style and has big holes, and two other MK5’s I have not touched yet.

I drilled out the ambient holes on two of my MK5’s to make them easier to rinse since I will never pack them with silicone.
One other MK5 is a generation behind the tiny hole style and has big holes, and two other MK5’s I have not touched yet.

I only have one real Mark V and it is a two port. My others of which I have quite a few are all Tekna/Oceanic and are 99% compatible, have stainless steel turret bolts and superior chrome and importantly, big ambient vents which makes them easy to rinse and dry.

The issue some have with SP piston first stages is not performance. I am not sure but I doubt there is any first stage anywhere that exceeds the performance of the Mark 25. It is corrosion because they are not sealed and to a lesser extent for those who are crazy :) enough to dive in very cold water, icing I suppose.

That is a Tekna first stage Mark V clone below. Pulled out (NIB) recently after sitting for something on the order of three plus decades and pressed into service:

Yes, it has a Scubapro yoke and screw. I am OCD almost like @buddhasummer, well, okay, not quite like that :stirpot: .

James

@Nemrod does this look like OCD to you? Well does it? Huh? Huh?

64E13E96-EB59-4DD0-807B-66C3743AB8C2.jpeg

😂😂😂

Back
Top Bottom