Is sidemount DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the addition of complicating the most common failure mode: leaks. Silly. Mixed teams are silly too

At the addition of complicating the most common failure mode: leaks. Silly. Mixed teams are silly too
Oh you so silly boy AJ. . .

. . .However, all this banter about "failure" points, detracts from the core and central issue, which is, if you want a system that is consistent with your previous, current or future Hogarthian/DIR/UTD training and skills, that is scalable from single tank to mCCR rebreather, that is capable of mixed team diving, that has interchangeable components and that also allows you to configure and dive a configuration that is best suited for your diving or exploration needs, then the Z-System is the only one that is capable of that.

Andrew
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/si...istribution-block-question-4.html#post6234507

Ya, of course he would defend it. Anything to get guys like you to lighten their wallets.

We already know UTD has transcended DIR philosophy into the unified (Marketing) world of well every configuration possible. So, still not seeing any advantages to Side mount other than you don't have to lug bands and a manifold if your traveling abroad (you still have to bring your tank stage or what ever there called kits, so not much actual benefit to your luggage weight allowance there) . And Still not an advantage to actual diving ops unless your going somewhere, say about 18" high. Dive recreationally with CCR's sure, but they have to bring rock bottom OC bail out gas for 2. A Mixed team on a serious dive, um no....you start asking questions like...... who's computer is telling the truth, who's desktop deco software is setting the schedule, what PO@ for your CCR, and why don't you have the same gas as the rest of the team, you get the idea...... Seems like a Cross your fingers and hope for the best plan to me or one that makes you feel good while diving solo. My 2 cents....

Well, I can just speak from my personal experience of diving sidemount. It was utterly delightful, and sheer pleasure in the water is a justification for just about anything that isn't unsafe, in my view.

Sidemount is definitely a tool that eases the exploration of low bedding plane tunnels, where you need to minimize your "height" in the water. It can also be useful for very narrow vertical cracks, where you can turn on your side and pass them. It is definitely not necessary for tunnel which permits the use of backmounted tanks, and it is not DIR. (The one place where I feel strongly that UTD has departed from the basic principles of DIR diving is with the Z-system.)

But the glory of sidemount is that you put the center of mass of the tanks next to your center of gravity, which gives you a freedom and stability in the water that is utterly unmatched with any other setup. The hour I spent in a well-adjusted sidemount rig in Florida was the closest I'll ever come to being a dolphin. I was free in three dimensions in the water in a way I had never been before, including single tank diving. I still regard that experience wistfully. It was intoxicating, and I can easily see people deciding to dive sidemount simply because it feels so good.

It doesn't fit the DIR system, because it doesn't permit "donate what you are breathing", and you lose access to half of your gas if you have a single regulator failure. But that doesn't mean it isn't fun.

(The one place where I feel strongly that UTD has departed from the basic principles of DIR diving is with the Z-system.)

- and (lack of) bottom stage marking
- and AG's deco
- and the MX90 rebreather (not considered remotely DIR even by CCR folks)
- light cord under

and historically:

- anyone remember cuff dumps?

AG has repeatedly trolled DIR, and still gets away with the idea that he was kicked out of GUE entirely for going into business against Halcyon/GI3...

- and AG's deco
- light cord under

and historically:

AG has repeatedly trolled DIR, and still gets away with the idea that he was kicked out of GUE entirely for going into business against Halcyon/GI3...

...and don't forget Monkey Diving ;-)

I can't say it puts me up nor down any whether someone dives sidemount with the distribution block or backmount hog rig. With that in mind I'd say it's compatible.

Getting everything set up nicely and managing the tanks is a bit of a different skill, and carrying tanks on the right is a change. Otherwise once you're in the water it's all the same. I prefer to dive backmount myself, but it's really no odds.

Regarding the rebreather, it's same backgas, same deco and same rockbottom so no odds diving it mixed team. Of course on a bigger dive I would like to be sure an OC teammate was familiar with my equipment. It is compatible, it's just a set of doubles with the addition of a canister and some counter lungs, everything is already familiar. My opinion is that it's closer to DIR backmount than an RB80 at any rate.

- and AG's deco
- light cord under

and historically:

That's right . . .AG has evolved the toolset while keeping it consistent with fundamental long hose diving technique; going places and accomplishing feats that you and your DIR Taliban Practitioner mindset will never achieve or even acknowledge.

Inshallah. . . . Allah u Akbar Mullah Lamont!

That's right . . .AG has evolved the toolset while keeping it consistent with fundamental long hose diving technique; going places and accomplishing feats that you and your DIR Taliban Practitioner mindset will never achieve or even acknowledge.

Inshallah. . . . Allah u Akbar Mullah Lamont!

Yea. DIR is really holding us back from achieving anything.

Be gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom