Is the PADI SMB specialty a waste of money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that before people start to bash the specialty course offering one needs to know the outline, requirements and more detailed description of the course including the skills the student needs to gain and master in this course.

The standard I mentioned is for the OW course. That standard was added in .... I want to say 2014. It was a fairly recent change.

R..

OW was after that as well. Like i said, it was demo'ed frequently for me in my OW, but never demonstrated by me.

I think that before people start to bash the specialty course offering one needs to know the outline, requirements and more detailed description of the course including the skills the student needs to gain and master in this course.
As you start to venture further afield with your diving, you will quickly learn the importance of alerting people on the surface to your position underwater. A delayed Surface Marker Buoy (dSMB or SMB) is an essential piece of equipment for any diver – Whether you need to summon the boat to pick you up after a dive, find a missing buddy, ascend without a fixed reference line, warn off boat traffic or even request extra cylinders.

This course will teach you how to easily, safely and reliably deploy a dSMB; giving you the peace of mind that you are comfortable using this essential (though initially daunting) piece of equipment whenever you may need to.

What do I need to start?
  • PADI Open Water Diver or Junior Open Water Diver certification (or qualifying certification from another organization)
  • Minimum age: 12 years old
What will I do?
Upon completing the PADI Surface Marker Buoy Speciality, you should be able to understand:

• The various uses of a SMB or dSMB
  • The differences between each type and colour of marker buoy
  • The advantages and disadvantages of various types of reels
  • Deployment of a dSMB from underwater
  • Considerations of deployment location based on hazards and current conditions
  • Preparation of equipment before and after deployment
How long will it take?
  • Knowledge development supported by your instructor
  • Minimum Open Water Training: two dives over one day
What will I need?
You will need to provide your own dSMB and reel - or you can rent from Abyss

How much does it cost?
£120

Incl materials?
N/A

Incl Gear Hire?
Yes

Where can I go from here?
Knowing how to use an SMB is especially useful for Boat and Drift dives, why not look into their respective speciality courses to safely introduce you to each? It also comes in very handy for the majority of our trips and holidays, which are largely sea or boat dives, contact the shop to find out where we are going next.

As a PADI Specialty and part of the adventures in diving programme, this course will count towards your Master Scuba Diver rating. Let other divers know where you are with the PADI SMB Diver Speciality.

To someone who definitively knows, what exactly are the current PADI requirements regarding using a surface SMB and a dSMB?

Deploying a surface SMB is hardly a skill and could very easily be done and practiced in OW. Though not rocket science, a dSMB is a bit more complex. @stuartv idea of adding dSMB to existing Adventure Dives would work if PADI would be willing to revise curriculum, that's probably not likely to happen. dSMB as a single Adventure Dive seems OK to me also. I did Deep, Nav, PPB, DPV, and Wreck when I did AOW, dSMB would have been at least as valuable as Wreck was as a single dive. Personally, I don't see dSMB as a freestanding specialty course.

My last PADI training was in 2005. Through OW, AOW, and Rescue, I was never shown, taught, or asked to demonstrate using a dSMB. I learned by watching other divers use a dSMB, obtaining equipment, and practicing myself. I did not have to demonstrate using a dSMB until I took the SDI Solo Diver course. On dive one, deployment was from the primary, on dive two, from the pony.

I think it depends how it is taught. I have 5 or 6 different SMBs that are of different design, size, and have different inflation methods (to include one from AP with the mini cylinder). I have different spools and reels that the student gets to use. Students are shown how to prepare spools and reels, rig the DSMB depending on design, methods to carry the DSMB based on size and style, which SMB is appropriate for what conditions, etc.

So it can be a ******** specialty or one that brings some value, education and exposure to various DSMB designs and how to deploy them. For me...I find it a much better Adventure Dive and Knowledge Development segment for AOW than some of the other choices.

If others offer that level of experience and DSMB design exposure during OW...excellent...I don't. In OW I cover inflation of an open bottom SMB at the surface...and yes it needs to be taught as the skill is not automatic and obvious to all. It takes some one try, others more than that with somebody observing and correcting the basic mistakes that are commonly made.

A good DSMB class takes an investment in different DSMBs, spools, and reels and an investment in my time to teach it well. So yes, I charge for that one night of knowledge development and the two dives where the student sends multiple SMBs of various size and design to the surface, practices buoyancy, depth awareness and task loading, etc.

As you start to venture further afield with your diving, you will quickly learn the importance of alerting people on the surface to your position underwater. A delayed Surface Marker Buoy (dSMB or SMB) is an essential piece of equipment for any diver – Whether you need to summon the boat to pick you up after a dive, find a missing buddy, ascend without a fixed reference line, warn off boat traffic or even request extra cylinders.

This course will teach you how to easily, safely and reliably deploy a dSMB; giving you the peace of mind that you are comfortable using this essential (though initially daunting) piece of equipment whenever you may need to.

What do I need to start?
  • PADI Open Water Diver or Junior Open Water Diver certification (or qualifying certification from another organization)
  • Minimum age: 12 years old
What will I do?
Upon completing the PADI Surface Marker Buoy Speciality, you should be able to understand:

• The various uses of a SMB or dSMB
  • The differences between each type and colour of marker buoy
  • The advantages and disadvantages of various types of reels
  • Deployment of a dSMB from underwater
  • Considerations of deployment location based on hazards and current conditions
  • Preparation of equipment before and after deployment
How long will it take?
  • Knowledge development supported by your instructor
  • Minimum Open Water Training: two dives over one day
What will I need?
You will need to provide your own dSMB and reel - or you can rent from Abyss

How much does it cost?
£120

Incl materials?
N/A

Incl Gear Hire?
Yes

Where can I go from here?
Knowing how to use an SMB is especially useful for Boat and Drift dives, why not look into their respective speciality courses to safely introduce you to each? It also comes in very handy for the majority of our trips and holidays, which are largely sea or boat dives, contact the shop to find out where we are going next.

As a PADI Specialty and part of the adventures in diving programme, this course will count towards your Master Scuba Diver rating. Let other divers know where you are with the PADI SMB Diver Speciality.
I think it depends how it is taught. I have 5 or 6 different SMBs that are of different design, size, and have different inflation methods (to include one from AP with the mini cylinder). I have different spools and reels that the student gets to use. Students are shown how to prepare spools and reels, rig the DSMB depending on design, methods to carry the DSMB based on size and style, which SMB is appropriate for what conditions, etc.

So it can be a ******** specialty or one that brings some value, education and exposure to various DSMB designs and how to deploy them. For me...I find it a much better Adventure Dive and Knowledge Development segment for AOW than some of the other choices.

If others offer that level of experience and DSMB design exposure during OW...excellent...I don't. In OW I cover inflation of an open bottom SMB at the surface...and yes it needs to be taught as the skill is not automatic and obvious to all. It takes some one try, others more than that with somebody observing and correcting the basic mistakes that are commonly made.

A good DSMB class takes an investment in different DSMBs, spools, and reels and an investment in my time to teach it well. So yes, I charge for that one night of knowledge development and the two dives where the student sends multiple SMBs of various size and design to the surface, practices buoyancy, depth awareness and task loading, etc.

Based on the above, if taught properly and proper details and skills are covered, I think that it will be a very good course to teach and take. I have no problem with it at all as along as it isn't a "pay me to get another C-card" type of a deal. I would think that more than two dives will be required to try different scenarios and to allow the student the time to work on required skills while hovering neutrally buoyant.

Learned to shoot a SMB in a LDS prior to a drift dive requiring one and then did it. no class required.

Humm.

I never thought of that as a specialty, but just something you should know how to do - however you learn how to do it.

And honestly, £120 (or whatever in your local currency*) seems to be a bit expensive learn how to put air in a bag underwater**.

On the other hand, you have people like this fellow (see below) for whom that 120 quid would obviously have been a worthwhile investment.

*(I'm not slagging your cost there Wookie, it's just right there as a reference - and your outline (you talk about including other gear costs) looks fine...)

**(And maintain buoyancy, and situational awareness, and not kill yourself, etc., etc.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom