Is there a convenient and risk-free way for an American to go to Cuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cuba does not stamp your passport.
I have been to Cuba 4x in the past 18 months and never had my pasport stamped. They do stamp your tourist visa. The people are very friendly and would not be able to tell the difference between a Canadian or American nor would they likely care.
I have heard that all flights that travel over US land have their flight manafests registered with homeland security.
So beware. Best to go through Mexico
Anyway, the diving is not great only about 100ft vis and 84 degree water and all that pesky coral and marine life to get in your way.

Shallow Draft:
Cuba does not stamp your passport.
I have been to Cuba 4x in the past 18 months and never had my pasport stamped. They do stamp your tourist visa. The people are very friendly and would not be able to tell the difference between a Canadian or American nor would they likely care.
I have heard that all flights that travel over US land have their flight manafests registered with homeland security.
So beware. Best to go through Mexico
Anyway, the diving is not great only about 100ft vis and 84 degree water and all that pesky coral and marine life to get in your way.

Each time I went there, I had to ask for my passport to be stamped (makes a great souvenir) and they were always puzzled by that but they did it with a smile anyway

There is another way to dive Cuba. There is a liveaboard ( can't remember which one off the top of my head) that's out of the Bahamas that goes down and dives the Cuban coast. I remember reading about it last summer when i was looking to put this winters trip together.
C-Dawg

I think you can fly into Havana from either Jamaica or the Bahamas, as well.

Last time I looked, it was a $10,000 fine and 20 years in federal prison if US Customs find out you've been there, so be careful. What they don't know won't hurt you. It is totally ridiculous, though, and won't be changing anytime soon, even after Castro croaks. If it were up to the Cubans, themselves, we would be there tomorrow. It isn't them that is keeping us out... :icon_roll

Convenient and risk free?! ... Wait until you die; have your body creamated; send the ashes by Canadian mail.

Sorry, there is no other risk free. However, I've got a rather bold friend who went on a humanitairan aid mission. One does not need to be a doctor to do this, just brave.

Just confess to being a terrorist and insist on being sent to Gitmo ;-)

There are several articles in Undercurrent in 2001 & 2003 on this topic - the IRS could also make your life miserable on top of the agencies already discussed here.

Their on-line access for reader reports for Cuba trips ends with 2004.

Their on-line access for liveaboard reader reports ends with 2002.

Back
Top Bottom