Is there a convenient and risk-free way for an American to go to Cuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it doable? Yes. It is risk-free? No.

You have to weigh the penalties and the likelihood of being "caught" versus the reward.

Personally for me, the Risk-Reward analysis says "don't do it!" but other people have different thresholds.

An aquaintance and a friend of mine (both US citizens) have gone to Cuba on a few occasions. They flew there relatively inexpensively from Cozumel (or possibly Cozumel to Cancun to Cuba). They verified that the Cuban officials will stamp a separate paper so as not to have the incriminating stamp on your US passport.

They claimed that the food was great, the music was great, the people were wonderful and the diving was okay. (The seas around Cuba tend to be over-fished and no one is protecting the reefs) Of course that was just what a few people told me.

Further anecdotal information suggests that paying for anything with a credit card can get you caught, but I forget the details of the story I heard.

For me, there are so many other wonderful (and legal) places to dive in the world, that I can live without diving in Cuba. Any amount of fine would make it more expensive than Bonaire etc. To each his own.

Wristshot

Join the marines, army, or navy and become an mp type....camp x-ray in gitmo. They do have one of the best dive clubs on the base that I have ever seen....or at least they used to.

Ditto on Gitmo.

I ran into a navy guy in Grand Cayman who was in the Navy based out of Gitmo. He said the same thing as BigBoB.

If there is a base, can a civilian fly in? Do family members get to visit their loved ones in Gitmo?

What about these options, which for the FBI internet police record, I highly discourage. I am just mentioning it for the sake of debate:D:

1. For a small nominal fee, would a serviceman/woman be willig to state that you are their significant other or a relative? Are there conjugal visits? Are there hotels for american relatives visting their loved ones on the Gitmo base?

2. If you get your passport stamped, what happens if you tear out the page? "Ooops! sorry mr. officer, but my dog/a shark ate that page:D"

3. How about sailing in with some Canadians on a sail boat? I ran into a guy who picked up some guys on the southeast coast of the US near Florida on the way to Cuba for a visit. Would the coast gaurd even be tracking the sailboat from the keys to Cuba and back to the keys? Maybe. In order to travel from Canada to Cuba, I think you have to go through US customs somewhere near the St. Lawerence Seaway. Not sure whether or not the US coast gaurd would come hunt ya down on your way along the US eastern coast if you did not. I would have to believe that the same would be true for traveling from a Carribean country.

BigBoB:
Join . . . .
I am too old to join.

I do think Bill's suggestion would be worth considering. However, as stated previously there are plenty of other places to visit and dive without having to risk fines or jail time. Of course some people simply thrive on danger. (not sure I want to dive with some of them)

W

Oops, Post #1000 should have been "meaningful". My apologies.
(was I supposed to make post #1000 naked?)

I'd go with the makeshift raft!

But being Canadian, don't have to. :) and actually going in a couple of weeks! End of Feb. hopefully before the "old guy" expires and the prices go through the roof!

Anyone know where the best diving is???

If you really have your heart set (I would go if I did not have children) you can fly through any of the french islands in the West Indies, my friends say. They go through Martinique right into Havana.

I am sorry but what is the government going to do, kick me out of my own country? Guess i am naive but when my daddy sails in the islands, they always try and make him pay a "re-entry tax" coming back into America. he tells them "you think I am going to pay to get back into my own country?" they never know what to do with him, so they just let him go.

and yes, it is a little fun sneaking in and out of countries. But you can't do it if your kids have a Geometry test and a ball game on Monday.

Got to dive GTMO back in January of 2002, I was going contract work for the FAA. I had been looking forward to the trip for months and thought it wasn't going to happen when they started shipping them there. Needless to say life still went on, Jesse from Ocean Enterprises was awesome helping me find some buddies and even got chased out of the water prior to a "shipment" of detainees. Patrol boat circled us, we surfaced, he apologized saying something like, "sorry guys, don't mean to be a jerk but there's another shipment coming in and we have to get everyone out of the water."

As far as getting to the rest of Cuba, there are a couple of agencies just outside of the airport in Grand Cayman that specialize in setting it all up. Charge the card in the Caymans vacation in Cuba. Haven't done it yet but entertain the idea of someday, perhaps it will open sometime soon.

Just out of curiosity, have you guys ever heard of someone going to jail or getting a big fine for going there?

I believe the rule is that you cannot spend any $$ there or you are subject to a Federal Violation. Some companies in Canada and Mexico will do an All Inclusive price based upon what you are looking for in Cuba and that way you are not spending any $$ in Cuba. Cuban Immigration will not stamp your passport from what I understand for just this reason. Now I am no expert here but I did do some research on the subject because I really want to go there before Castro dies and the American Machine moves in and ruins the whole thing with Mega resorts, tourism developed for Americans and all the stupid restaurant chains...etc. etc. etc. The music and culture are enough but I have also heard the diving there is first rate.

Back
Top Bottom