Suggestion Is there a forum for Dive Shop Owners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
D

divepa

Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a place for dive shop owners to post? Does anyone else think that is a good suggestion?

Divepa

Ha ha! Everyone else would keep trying to sneak in to see how the shops were "screwing" us... it'd be like the Area 51 of the scuba board.

Divepa,
I think that is an extremely interesting issue... the main question becomes how many shop owners do we have and how do we verify this? As archman said, there may be distrust and more likely, curiosity so clearly we want to be sure only the right people have access but unlike in the instructor forum, we can't check an id number.

Yeah, I see your point. I'm sure there is some way that we can verify that someone is actually affiliated with a shop. I'll put some serious thought into this.

Divepa

I think this is a great idea and I would be willing to help in anyway I can!

Owner ID could be easily verified by the store owner giving his PADI or NAUI store affiliation number as well or links to his website etc which in a couple minutes a moderator could verify. Or it could be a case of a system where owners are invited by other owners to join the discussion group kinda like Friendster.

I would also make it more of an industry insider area and open it up to the Manufacturers and distributors of scuba related gear. This could also generate income for the board if manufacturers wanted to post notices about their new products in this area. ( heck they could even float new product ideas for feedback) - Did you know Rodales has been trying a virtual Dema the last couple years and they don't do anything for free!

The group and moderator should also have the right to suspend any member who brings discussions outside of the owner forum area and compromises the environment of confidentiality that exists.

Owners do like to talk to each other about business ideas and issues that effect them on a day to day basis and only ever get the chance at DEMA. Many complain about the industry and the LDS but I think most people would be amazed at how isolated the LDS owner is from the rest of the industry and has little voice in where it is going or what could be done to make it better for all.

Locally, in the last year or so, I have made a point of talking with other owners whenever I have the opportunity (rather than about them) and it is very helpful as it has removed some of the stigma from my own mind about my competitors and hopefully done the same for them.

Recently at the outdoor adventure show in Toronto I was approached by 3-4 different shop owners who all want to find a way to communicate more and improve the industry. We are planning to get together "sometime" but this type of forum would be quite helpful.

Anything that can get this industry communicating and realizing that the competition isn't other shops or even online discounters but the rest of the liesure dollar world can only be good for the sport of diving and customer service in general so I say let's try it.

Gee can you tell I like this Idea? If you guys don't do it then I seriously might go do it myself as Bulletin boards are not that hard to set up, but I would rather see it here where there is already a healthy community growing and infrastructure in place to support it.

Although I am not a Dive Store Owner (and have never played one on TV....) I have just started a business that services dive stores. In starting this business I have contacted a number of local dive shops and believe that a little more communication would not be a bad thing. It could also keep some of those manufacturer reps in line :D.

(Dang nab it - Where is my Free Baseball Cap!)

Could something like this include small suppliers/services like FredT and m'self?

Walter:
How to you verify stores not affiliated with NAUI or PADI?

How many of those are there? In this area the answer is none but I don't know about the rest of the world.

I guess you could e-mail/phone the store or ask a nearby moderator (it is not like we don't already now all of the LDS in our areas :D)

Anyone could set up a Sharepoint Website for a few dollars a month. Members could easily be contolled with passwords issued by the owner/moderator.

As a manufacturer, the idea that we could communicate and get ideas, feedback, etc. even from stores that didn't carry our brand is a intriguing idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom