Is there a license just for spearfishing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Each state is very different. And in some cases you must also have a Federal Fishing permit to fish. It's not just a simple yes or no answer and the laws are very complicated. They also seem to change on a month by month basis is some instances. It is best to determine which state, which exact area and which time of year you want to fish and then look up the license requirements for it. As an example, in Florida there are different laws for the gulf versus the Atlantic side, versus the keys versus inland lakes. Once you know where you want to go and what time of year, use this link to research the laws. Or just hire a local captain who will know.

Worldwide Spearing Regulations Websites - Spearboard Spearfishing Community

I know they're all different. My question is simply does salt water fishing license = license to angle and spear, or is there actually a spear fishing license? I'd assume it's just a fishing license, because there were very vague references to spearing on some of the sites pages, but no info about an actual license.

For example, NJ doesn't have a license, so I registered with NOAA. I assume that means I can also spear in NJ?

Hire a captain? I dive off my own boat? Also I'm going to be traveling a lot, so let's say the entire East coast?

grunzster:
My question is simply does salt water fishing license = license to angle and spear

In Florida, yes. You may need additional endorsements depending on which species you take. Some species you cannot legally spear.

In Florida, yes. You may need additional endorsements depending on which species you take. Some species you cannot legally spear.
That's the case everywhere I think. Any protected game fish right? Because if it's too small...oopsie, can't throw it back like you can with a hook.

Florida:

You use the same license to fish with spear or tackle.
Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. And FL is one of the 2 spots where I plan on spearing.

Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. And FL is one of the 2 spots where I plan on spearing.
Please don't forget your dive flag and make SURE it's big enough! 12"x12" for a towed buoy and 20"x24" for the boat!!! Some of the flags on the buoys being sold aren't big enough, and we don't want you getting hurt!

Those are the minimum sizes. The diver down flag is purely an American invention. Around the world the Alpha flag is supposed to be used on a boat.

Yeah, I know alpha is used in much of the rest of the world. I just assumed 20 x 24 was a standard size, so I was making fun of what I though was my odd sized flag.

Back
Top Bottom