Is there a place for competitive spirit in scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If yes, then what kind, and under what circumstances? What might be some of the noble or worthy pursuits, and what makes them such? Thanks!

There should be.......

With the amount of "fighting" and bad mouthing within and between agencies, LDS, instructors and divers lead me to believe this will never happen. Revenues and profits are shrinking and like everything else the sport has turned into a cut-throat business. All is fair in love and war.

In my humble new diver opinion yes. However I feel that it should be directed towards one self, not a competition among peers.

One can always strive towards perfection, although perfection might not be obtainable.

For me this equates to practicing drills dry and wet. Making sure that I follow the right procedures, drills and show awareness underwater both towards my environment and buddies. I will practice until it becomes second nature, and then continue conducting the same procedures/drill. Of course having fun at the same time.

However I do feel that a competitive attitude of "How deep can you go?" does not appeal to me.

I could see something like ice skating. Perfect trim & propulsion techniques, required paths & forms judged on style & accuracy. Might be like watching grass grow, but to each their own.

Race to the bottom... how deep can you go... not so much. There's always the "Hey dude, hold my beer. Watch this..." guy.

I suppose I can envision "a place for competitive spirit in scuba diving," but I will steer clear of the competition. It's not for me. One of the things I like about scuba is that there are so many ways to enjoy it--something for every individual preference. I enjoy diving for reasons similar to why I enjoy other non-competitive sports.

yes! within the some 400 followers and members of our dive club there is a bunch of competition. But mostly related to safe and fun competition. For example:
- coolest creature you saw last dive
- most dives this month
- best surface interval snack on last dive
- best stupid diver trick (no injuries required!)
i do not advertise to the group or push others to advertise depth, time, gas consumption and other safety factors so we avoid people competing doing really dumb stuff. our cadre of tec guys share info among ourselves but not around the broader community.

Reactions: RJP
...No.

The biggest competition I have is usually with myself.

I suppose a little competion among divers is to be expected and natural... and maybe at times even to be encouraged if it can be a catalyst for self improvement, but never ever at the expense of safety - for yourself and your fellow divers, and not as a replacement or distraction from actually enjoying diving and the wonders of that environment.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom