Is there a valid reason for a pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From my reading of this thread there are two sides, one believes that taking a pony should be determined by the needs of the dive, the other side feels a pony should be taken on every dive.

Not sure which thread you are reading, I don't think that anyone was saying that a pony should be taken on every dive, no matter what the conditions. For some dives it's not enough, for some dives it's simply not necessary. For example, even though CCR bailout is hardly controversial, I don't use bailout when diving a rebreather in a shallow pool, because standing up is no harder than switching to a reg on a necklace. So there are limits to everything.

My reading of this thread is that there are two sides. One side that feels that there are valid reasons for taking a pony on some dives (the answer to the OP). The other side feels that good buddy skills and gear maintenance results in the same risk reduction that a pony does, so they don't want to deal with the expense (upfront and maintenance), drag, entanglement issues and balance issues that they see as downsides to a pony. I'm "pro-pony", but I do understand the point of the other side, and they may be right (it's a hard thing to calculate precisely).

There is no way that proper gear maintenance and good buddy skills provide the same level of redundancy that a pony provides. On shallow, easy dives a direct swimming ascent is practical, but dependence on a buddy you can not control or relying on a repair technician (who you can not control) is not quite the same.

There is no way that proper gear maintenance and good buddy skills provide the same level of redundancy that a pony provides. On shallow, easy dives a direct swimming ascent is practical, but dependence on a buddy you can not control or relying on a repair technician (who you can not control) is not
quite the same.

Totally agree, I would never substitute a buddy for my own redundant gas supply if the diving conditions warranted redundancy.

My point was that "team pony-pushback" may just be saying that all things considered, and in some diving conditions, a good buddy is ENOUGH redundancy to make the dive acceptably safe, given a baseline of good gear maintenance. What is "acceptably safe"? Well, that's not something that can be calculated. You breath compressed gas underwater, you are incurring some degree of risk, no matter what your gear configuration, skills and experience are. All that is being discussed is what is necessary to reduce that risk to acceptable levels.

Because one that does not feel that a pony should be a mandatory peice of dive gear on every dive, does not make one a detractor.

From my reading of this thread there are two sides, one believes that taking a pony should be determined by the needs of the dive, the other side feels a pony should be taken on every dive.

So far the pony on every dive side is the most vocal. I understand that from UK and other divers who are normally in real cold water and those usually diving on the edge of technical.

To the OP, should you still be reading:
There are valid reasons for a pony bottle. I believe it depends on the dive plan and ones risk tolerance and the agreement of your buddy/team. Good luck in coming up with an answer from this TMI thread.

Bob
Please point me to the posts where anybody has suggested they be used on every dive as I don't remember them. By detractors I mean those who would dissuade others from using them by implying that if they do so they are obviously poor divers who cannot manage their gas or are poor buddies etc. I certainly do not take a pony on every dive but when I feel it is prudent I do or I take some other form of redundant set-up.

I would just settle for the poll. I need to see it has changed somebody's mind. Don't even care which way.
Come on, must I suffer the whole weekend?
I don't believe it will have changed any minds but I do hope it may prevent someone who is thinking about a pony from being dissuaded by others.

I would just settle for the poll. I need to see it has changed somebody's mind. Don't even care which way.
Come on, must I suffer the whole weekend?
Create a poll then...no one is stopping ya.....

When the **** hits the fan a 13 cf may just about be enough for some. Not recommended for beginners though...

WOW! And lets toss in a shark for the "Hollywood" shock effect!

I for one have changed from being "mildly interested in adding a pony" to "not worth the bother".

ymmv,
Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom