Is there any better wooden shipwreck diving than the Great Lakes??? No of course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No doubt the wrecks are there along with several hundred years of busy shipping and fishing history so you have the museums too.

My wife and I were in the museum at Whitefish after having been diving that morning. I pointed to a model of one of the wrecks that we had dived and said "Look, they put the life boat in the wrong spot" My wife said "I think you're right". A lady standing near us asked how I knew. I told her that I was there. I don't remember off hand what wreck it was but it had sunk in the 1800's. She asked when I was there...I said "This morning". She asked "Isn't it on the bottom of the lake?" I said "Yep". She asked "Were you under water?". I answered "Yep". It's a blast.

I later found out that it wasn't the model maker who put the life boat in the wrong spot but the divers who found it on the bottom some distance away from the wreck and moved it...but in any case, I knew where it was when we saw it. LOL

It's just too bad that the season is so short and the weather so fickled.

polarbeardiver:
Hello divers, especially cold water divers...
Just saying hello, and making the point that the best wooden shipwrecks and the most abundant supply of wooden shipwrecks can be found in the Great Lakes.

I am a Dive Michigan supporter. Yes some of you think it is cold, but when you go outside in winter you dress for it, and so you can do the same in the Great Lakes. I personally lose my boots and gloves as early as I can, but I know that is me.

I have not been on scuba board before, but I have been mentioned a few times I think. I captain a ship in the Straits of Mackinac sometimes, and love to dive.
Thanks
Mark Kistner

Welcome!

Sounds like a great place to dive!

Dave C

smilies-41093.png

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Always good to try a Search before starting a new thread, tho :search: - click here for Search help, and be careful about posting Threads & Replies before reading the Sticky threads at the tops of most forums. PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

Hey Buddy,
Hope you're havin a good time in Bonaire. I'm just doing a little research on some gear. Thought I would check out this scuba board thing you were talking about. Come to find out, I've been here before because I already had a user name and password.
Take care,
cpt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom